1994 Cutlass Rear end noise

94 olds vert

My cutlass is making this really weird noise. It happens whenever I drive on a bumpy road. Or under braking, but when I brake hard doesn't make the noise?? It is really annoying.

Here is a video of what it sounds like.

[video=youtube;n08TCOyCuq4]

The struts are only a couple years old. If anyone has any suggestions I would love the hear them.

How did you get the leaf in the back high enough to change it out? Mine is missing on the passenger side, but becuase of the weight and curvy angle of the monoleaf, a jack slips right out when trying to get it off the metal. I need help on this one, I already have the Napa part sitting in my trunk (for about 6 months!)

What I did was I cut down a 2 by 4 to sit on top of the jack and then lined it up with the leaf and then jacked it up until I had enough room to slide it in.

EASIEST:

Raise the car and put it on jackstands. - this reduces the weight sitting on the spring, so when you raise the spring you are fighting mostly the spring and not the weight of the car.

Use a hydraulic jack with a block of wood on top to push up on the spring near the end. You may need to use a crowbar or big screwdriver to shift the spring away from the edge of the knuckle;e if it is binding.

*NEVAR PLACE FINGERS BETWEEN SPRING AND KNUCKLE*

take the puck and insert it into the knuckle, get it to pop in place. Sometimes filing down the edges lightly can help it go in easier. once installed... lower jack and lower car, and you are done.

My car was making this WWHHOOSHH sound when going over a bump. I thought it was the monoleaf since it did it more when there was someone in the back seat. I took it all apart and my monoleaf pads were still there. I was surprised. They looked healthy too. My struts were not as fortunate. Both of them ended up being blown.