L67 Tear down and re build

Addicted to eaton

Well i found one thing wrong,

S6300047.jpg

Piston number 1 is chipped, Stuck, and Out of its bore (and thank god the head is not messed up!!!)

S6300042.jpg

were you running any power adders besides the eaton. kinda looks like you popped the top off the piston. you got lucky, usually would have at least bent the valves.

were you running any power adders besides the eaton. kinda looks like you popped the top off the piston. you got lucky, usually would have at least bent the valves.

Just a fwi stock pulley. 104 AL plugs. I broke the connection rod.

Pull off the intake, un-hook all the fuel lines, take the cruise and accelerator off, start un-hooking wires.

next we will take the fuel rail off. 2 bolts hold it down (plus the one where the cover is, Its a duble sided bolt. IIRC Then pull up, The injectors might be a little dirt and hard to come out. you have a 97 so i think it comes off with out removing the alternator bracket, If not take it off. Now take the t-stat housing off (you gonna re build it might as well replace it)

you should now see this

S6300008.jpg

Then take all the bolts out of the supercharger, there is at least 7 or 8 maybe closer to 10-13. Now take the blower off you will see this

S6300015.jpg

Now pull that LIM out! its not hard, a few 10mm bolts hold it on still. Then take the EGR spot off (it goes in to the LIM) and wala its off, Take the LIM gaskets out! No you cant re-use em lol.

Now lets start pulling the front head off. Remove the 3 bolts out of the coil pack (have fun! i hated doing this, my seep well was not long enough and My wrenches were not here LOL)

Now take the valve cover off, its pretty simple still 10mm bolts holding it down!

Now you see all your pretty rockers! i pulled them off you can if you want, 10mm, But you dont need to.

S6300030.jpg

S6300029.jpg

S6300031.jpg

Take the front exhaust mani off, 13 mm bolts, and take it off at the cross over.

Now take the 8 15mm bolts out of the head (4 inside the valve cover area) 4 outside (now that the mani is out of the way you can see it, Pull the head off now!)

now take the 3 bolts out of the alternator (15mm) now take the 3 or 4 out of the water jacket that the alternator mounts too! and take the back valve cover off (you well need to remove the 2 black brackets if the 97 has them) then take the 13mm Bolts out of the back manifold. then take the EGR off the head. Now take all 8 15mm bolts out of the head and WALA you have this, about 3 or 4 hours of work!

S6300042.jpg

hope i did not miss anything if you have any questions call me 660-973-6803

Wow that oil looks disgusting :P. Are you going to be rebuilding that engine or are you gonna rebuild a donor? How did your cylinder walls look on that one piston?

Jon, I know for a fact that the LIM bolts ARE NOT 10mm. They are 3/8". If you use a 10mm and they are on there pretty good, you will round the heads off the bolts.

And DAYUM!! Thats one fucked engine. You can see on the rod where the bearing spun.

my 10 MM always worked fine for me?

Im not saying that you cant get away with it, but ive had numerous times a 10mm will round, 3/8" takes it right off. I still remember the old Master Tech I worked with, fucker was laughing at me while doing a LIM job on a L67 and was pissed cause the LIM bolts was rounding. He finally handed me a 3/8"s and told me they arent 10mm. Oh how I loved that job (my first LIM job quite a while ago):showoff:

lol. depends on if you have cheep tools really.

Well that makes sense, apparently you have a cheap 10mm socket that isnt 100% correct size, cause I dont have cheap tools:thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure it depends more on whether you have a six-point socket or a 12-point socket....

the 12-point socket, the most unnecessary invention EVAR considering how many actual 12-point nuts and bolts are actually used...

Jon, I know for a fact that the LIM bolts ARE NOT 10mm. They are 3/8". If you use a 10mm and they are on there pretty good, you will round the heads off the bolts.

Took me two times doing a LIM job to figure that one out, I always thought I was screwing up the heads of the bolts with a bad socket. Total BS on GMs part.