• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penglii

• RobertISaar

• Garrett Powered

• White93z34

you've got a tech1, right?

Tech1... duh... I think I need more coffee...

and new tensioner = run normal, new belt = run horrible?

well, WTF?

WTF is what I was thinking. It's even routed right and the tension is better than the old belt.

Old Tensioner + old belt = super bouncy tensioner but ran fine.

New Tensioner + old belt = way less bouncy tensioner and ran slightly better.

New Tensioner + New Belt = Idles low, lugs, less power, stalled twice at stoplights, but no SES light.

:think:

OK... now she won't start.

I turn the key and she tries to crank but then just stops. WTF.

First attempt: Ruh-Ruh-Ruh-Nothing

Second attempt right away: Ruh-Nothing

Waited a couple minutes...

Third attempt: Ruh-Ruh-Ruh-Ruh-Nothing.

I have not tried jumper cables yet... I will do that right after work.

This cannot be good... any thoughts?

I'm at work... tools are at home.

GF can probably bring them to me at 5:00 or so, don't have enough of my lunch hour left to try anything right now.

I am not thrilled.

First thing I try though is gonna be to throw the old belt back on.

Edited by Penglii

Thought occurs to me... since it won't just crank forever, just a few times and then *nothing* like it's being told to just give up... what are the odds that my Crank Position Sensor took this (horribly coincidental) opportunity to totally fail?

correct. of/when you hook the tech1 up, you should see RPM while cranking, near ~200 RPM at least. if you see that, the CPS SHOULD be fine.

Cool. I will check for that after 5pm when my GF gets here.

Sounds to me like a dead battery.

Ya think? The battery still has some charge... I won't know exactly how much voltage until later today... but u think it has enough to start cranking but not enough to turn the engine over? Maybe my alternator *IS* dead... I should have checked its output voltage yesterday.

That's the plan!

I guess my past experiences with dead batteries have been with really-really-dead batteries.

I'm not used to a dead battery that still tries to think about doing stuff. LOL

Interesting... after work I tried to crank it again, and I actually got it to turn over!

The voltage seemed fine, 12 volts with just the key on... 14.1 volts with the car idling high at ~2000 RPM.

So... maybe its not the battery or the alternator?

I'm very confused. Started but ran like crap in the morning... stalled at a traffic light, started right up and continued to run like crap until I arrived at work, then it died the moment I got into the parking space and would not start. Would not start at lunch (around Noon). After work it turned over but it cranked for a while first and almost flooded, but it did start and idled smooth (at 2000 rpm) for the short time I let it run before hitching a ride home with the GF.

I'm sure the idle would have dropped to normal if I waited a little bit as I did pull the ICM fuse (for shits and giggles) for a minute after scanning for codes and finding none... so the high idle is probably because partly because it *now* needs a relearn. I don't know, however, if the 14.1 charging volts would be sustained at a lower, more correct, sustained idle speed.

Could it be the ICM? I've heard of those being flaky. Could that cause the symptoms I experienced?

For sure... Since I'm home and my car is not I will be revisiting this issue tomorrow. I think I will be picking up a tested good junkyard Alternator and ICM tomorrow morning... then going over to work to see what I can see.

I'm still trying to figure out how changing the tensioner and the belt would have brought this about, but it's probably a coincidence.

I guess I've sort of made some progress... I determined the charging system is fine (so I may have wasted 25 bucks on an J/Y Alternator... but that's ok).

Also I limped her home... there is no doubt about it, I've got some big time misfiring going on. Now to figure out how to change out that freaking coil pack (where the hell are the bolts for that sucker)... I want to find whoever decided to put it where it is and kick them in the nuts.

As much as I like OBD-1... it sure would be nice if it had the misfire codes that OBD-2 has! LOL

I think I'm screwed at the moment... FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I can get at the 2 side bolts, and I know where the bottom bolt is... but literally cannot reach it no matter what I do.

It is definitely a misfire situation, and I certainly cannot drive around like that because it creates an insane pure fuel smell out the exhaust. I suppose I can rent a timing light to see if I am barking up the right tree or not with the coil pack... but that still won't get my car running properly in time.

So basically I don't know what to do next. First step is apparently to figure out how I'm getting to work and back next week. :(

it's possible.... and a good excuse for some bigger ones, amirite?

i would confirm you're getting spark to all of the front 3 cylinders at least though, since it's dead simple to do.

Yeah your right :thumbsup:

Although what I'm gonna do is pull the injectors from the blue sedan, since I know it runs good but is not registered or insured, and try them in the TGP.

If it helps then I have an awesome excuse for bigger injectors.

At this point I need to find a new way to work for at least a couple of days no matter what I do, since I won't have any time to pull any injectors until Monday evening.