• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penglii

• RobertISaar

• Garrett Powered

• White93z34

Got the trans mount changed out, wow it was easy to do.

Still a jarringly firm shift into reverse, but it's tolerable now... I suppose I'll need to to the motor mount too soon.

It no longer feels like it's just going to completely self destruct when going into reverse though, so that's good enough for right now.

I'll do the motor mount in a couple of weeks I think.

on the trans. just flip it and blow through it and all that make sure its going the right direction. had mine backwards by accident and that's exactly what it does.

Gotcha.

I replaced that valve once... at the same time as I replaced the trans modulator... I thought I had it on the right way, but it's posible it's on backwards.

Here is a picture where you can sort of see it, I labeled the way I have the lines hooked up.

post-4571-143689107666_thumb.jpg

According to this picture mine is on correctly.

I'm pretty sure the engine mount is blown and is causing the remaining jolt going into reverse...

vacdiagram.jpg

OK... time to stop farting around... it is time to take the TGP for a short drive... this will be the first time she moves in over a year...

I am super excited.

I am also SUPER NERVOUS... holy crap... I really just need to get in the car and do this...

I have learned how to generally keep my anxiety issues under control... but right now I am having difficulty not letting my anxiety control me.

I know I'll feel a zillion times better as soon as I get this test drive over with... so what the hell is stopping me?

god I wish I had your problem sometimes. I can't not drive mine even with the busted x-over running pig rich...

god I wish I had your problem sometimes. I can't not drive mine even with the busted x-over running pig rich...

LOL I drove mine for a while with a busted x-over... but probably only for a month or so right after I got it.

blow and suck through it? adjustable modulator maybe?

Maybe... I'll check the valve and see if it's defective or something.

I do have an adjustable modulator. All the forward gear shifts are great, it's just going into reverse that does it... I'd think that rules out the modulator.

If I'm able to aquire a solid motor mount in time, I'll change it out this upcoming week... since I'm quite sure I need to do it anyway.

D'oh!

Just checked the check valve... one of the nipples broke off when I pulled the vac lines off it.

So it's no longer important how well the old one worked... I gotta pick up a new one anyway.

Good thing they are readily available at every parts store. :thumbsup:

Did some more datalogging today... initially the idle was bad and the AFR would not cooperate.

Shut her down, waitied a couple minutes, and tried again... Problem solved.

Went for a spirited drive around the neighborhood.

So far so good.

and...

Holy crap this car is even more fun to drive than I remembered!!

I think I'm going to drive it to work tomorrow.

And do some highway/interstate datalogging after work.

Holy crap this car is even more fun to drive than I remembered!!

:gears: glad to hear it!! eagerly waiting for matt to get some time off and patch me up a crossover heh not having my tgp In good running order Is like having an Itch you can't scratch :(

But life happens first and he'll get'r done when he can.

cheers.

Tried and failed to make a heat shield for the turbo... hopefully I can find the time this week for a second attempt.

If not I have a couple of nice but odd shaped pieces of steel leftover that I can at least protect specific things with... won't cool down my charge pipe, but I can at least protect vacuum lines and stuff somewhat for now.

Took the TGP out for some highway driving datalogging for the first time... Did a couple of half throttle pulls... reached about 6psi of WIN. :D

Now I'm kindof pissed off.

Ordered an Anchor #2660SR solid motor mount... recieved an Anchor #2660 HYDRAULIC motor mount.

The box for the part CLEARLY says #2660SR... so it's obviously mislabeled.

I'm keeping it... but only because nobody (not even any of my local parts stores) can get me a motor mount, solid or hydraulic, in time for me to not drive the TGP up north with a blown engine mount.

Is this common? Has anyone else here bought a box that says solid mount but really has a hydraulic one?

Seems quite extremely bogus if you ask me.

Call me crazy but I kindof expect unopened parts boxes to, I dunno, contain the parts they say they do...

Now I'm kindof pissed off.

Ordered an Anchor #2660SR solid motor mount... recieved an Anchor #2660 HYDRAULIC motor mount.

The box for the part CLEARLY says #2660SR... so it's obviously mislabeled.

I'm keeping it... but only because nobody (not even any of my local parts stores) can get me a motor mount, solid or hydraulic, in time for me to not drive the TGP up north with a blown engine mount.

Is this common? Has anyone else here bought a box that says solid mount but really has a hydraulic one?

Seems quite extremely bogus if you ask me.

Call me crazy but I kindof expect unopened parts boxes to, I dunno, contain the parts they say they do...

I once bought ball joints and brake pads for my old Jeep Cherokee. I started replacing the ball joints only to discovery I'd gotten the wrong one in the right box. After hassling with getting the right one in the right box, I went to put everything back together, when I discovered that I had 3 inner pads, and 1 outer pad in the brake shoe box. I was pissed at this point.

So, no, it's not uncommon.

Well then... I guess I've been very lucky up to this point.

I suppose I can be glad about that at least.

napa did that to me when I replaced the motor and trans mount on my 98gt 3800.. bought the solid ended up with hydraulic for both.... Didn't look or notice it till I had torn into the car wife had my car and tgp was In pieces as well... Did manage to get my money back so.. can't complain about free mounts.

napa did that to me when I replaced the motor and trans mount on my 98gt 3800.. bought the solid ended up with hydraulic for both.... Didn't look or notice it till I had torn into the car wife had my car and tgp was In pieces as well... Did manage to get my money back so.. can't complain about free mounts.

Free mounts are nice.

I got my mount from Amazon... so unfortunately there is no place I can go complain to someone.

I left a negative review on Amazon, and I sent a complaint e-mail to Anchor corporate... but neither of those are likely to accomplish anything.

Oh well... brand new hydro mount is better than old blown useless mount.

Whenever I do upgrade to a solid mount I'll be sure to get it from a parts store this time so I can at least gripe to the counter person if it's the wrong one.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Now I've gone and done it... epic motor mount replacement FAIL!!!

So... in retrospect I should have only removed the lower two nuts, so that the jacking process would break loose the lower two bolts.

BUT NO!!!

I had to go and remove all 4 of them... go and lift up the engine, and realize... oh shit, I can't get the mount out... it's fused to the lower bracket!!

And of course the mount is blown, so there is no way that I can tell to get the upper bolts to line up with the engine side until I have the new mount in. ARGH!!!!

So far I have liberally sprayed the area with PB Blaster in hopes that it will penetrate that bond and assist me in removing the mount.

I have tried prying... but there is no way to get a prybar between the motor and the mount to pry the mount loose from the engine cradle.

I have tried smashing the bolts with a hammer... but since I'm only up on jack stands I don't have much room to swing my arm.

I have to work tomorrow so I'm done for the night no matter what... so the PB blaster should have lots of time to penetrate.

I'm not sure what I can do to leverage that POS out of there.

I am WIDE open to suggestions... I absolutely have to get this mount replaced tomorrow, it is way urgent... I did not at all expect this setback and I need to be able to drive the car on Saturday afternoon.

Propane torch and a better hammer maybe???

I'd like to think the PB blaster will work so well that I can just magically lift the mount out tomorrow... but I doubt I'm so lucky.

Damn it...

Oh wait... I have an idea!!!

There's that metal rod on the top of the mount... like the safety catch or whatever?

Maybe if I go to the hardware store and get some thin steel cable or something, thread it under that metal rod, secure the cable into a loop, run it up out of the top of the engine bay and over one of my garage rafters.

That way I could put all my weight into it and it would lift the mount more or less straight up.

I might fall on my ass when it breaks loose... but that would be OK.

That should work, right?????

This is if I'm understanding your description correctly...if you can fit a jack under there, you could try to use it to press up on the bolts...I've used a jack to do stuff like that when I couldn't get enough leverage on something due to a lack of space...