Penglii's 1989 TGP

Penglii

About halfway done with my hacksawing... OMG my hand and arm hurt.

This is totally going to work though.

Once I crack off the large end of the sensor I am golden.

I cannot believe it has come to this to get this hosebeast off the car...

This particular oil pressure sensor must have been designed by the same person who engineered the placement of the lower coil pack bolt. :bang:

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penglii

• RobertISaar

• Garrett Powered

• White93z34

I have a socket similar to this in my box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Dr-1-3-16-30m-m-x-4-Long-for-Oil-Pressure-Sender-Switch-Socket-/150800000448?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item231c6165c0&vxp=mtr#ht_2595wt_932

Productive weekend. :dance:

Got that pesky oil pressure sensor changed out, got the oil changed, refilled the radiator, cleaned most of the paint off the intercooler, cleaned up the intake plenum, got a new battery, put everything back together, and drained so far 5 gallons of old gas from the tank.

Hopefully next week sometime I will get to fire her up again and do some datalogging.

So totally looking forward to that!

I just need to find a buddy to help me bleed the PMIII, that might take some bribery. :lol:

I also finally took some pictures.

post-4571-143689095566_thumb.jpg

post-4571-143689095573_thumb.jpg

post-4571-14368909558_thumb.jpg

post-4571-143689095589_thumb.jpg

post-4571-143689095596_thumb.jpg

Kindof an obvious question... but if I pull the PMIII fuse from under the hood, that will effectively disable the PMIII until I put the fuse back?

I want to start her up, check for vacuum leaks, make sure she idles, bleed the coolant, etc... but I want the PMIII to remain non-functional and de-pressurized until I have the time (and assistance) to bleed it.

I assume that pulling the underhood PMIII pump fuse will simply do the trick... but if there is anything else I should do as well as cheap insurance, then I'm all ears.

Yeah, obviously pulling the PMIII pump fuse disabled the pump... I pulled the ABS computer fuse too for now, just to be extra safe.

Car is not going anywhere yet anyway.

I really missed seeing that lit up gauge cluster.

I really need to illuminate the Turbo emblem!

Drained the fuel tank this evening... removed 8 gallons of old gas.

Tomorrow I will add 10 gallons of brand new gas, fire her up and let her idle for the first time in almost a year.

I cannot wait. :dance:

Hopefully I'll get those brakes bled this weekend somehow.

save some of that old gas for parts washing.. 8 gallons though? maybe you can add some xylene to some of it and run it through the car.

Well now... this will make datalogging significantly more difficult...

The screen glitch in my windows laptop got significantly worse apparently.

Here is an unmodified screenshot.

post-4571-143689096051_thumb.jpg

Well now... this will make datalogging significantly more difficult...

The screen glitch in my windows laptop got significantly worse apparently.

Here is an unmodified screenshot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8335[/ATTACH]

Looks fun... that's an actual screenshot?

Yup... screenshot... which means it's coming out of the graphics circuitry that way.

Everything else sill works fine (for now) but doing anything is extremely difficult and headache inducing.

I only used that laptop for tunerpro, and I back that data up right away anyway, so there's nothing to lose.

I guess I'll have to set up my MacBook to emulate Windows and run Tunerpro that way until I can score another dirt cheap old windows laptop.

Started the engine and did a brief initial datalog. :dance:

Not much data, just ran the car long enough to make sure nothing was horribly wrong.

Going to bleed the coolant still this afternoon, will log more data when I do that.

Started pretty well for the first start in about a year.

Started on the first crank even.

Seems to run very smoothly.

Brakes are disabled until I get them bled, so no fun data... just idle and some throttle blipping for now.

http://www.smallfiles.org/download/368/April_2012_1st_engine_start.xdl.html

keep an eye on the new one when you first put it in. I got one that leaked out so much oil out I almost didn't catch it before running the motor dry.

I am glad that you mentioned this!

... I just finished bleeding my coolant, and remembered this post. Looked under the car, lo and behold, oil is leaking out of the brand new oil pressure sensor!!! The engine has ran for about 20 minutes this afternoon, and I'd say there is about a quart of oil on the ground. It's parked over dirt so it's hard to tell exactly. Either way, WTF?!!

So... what brand of oil pressure sensor have you had good luck with in your TGPs?

Anyway, aside from pissing oil all over the ground... She is running great.

Idles better than she ever has. Idles strong and smooth.

Here is a link to the datalog I took while bleeding the coolant... it's all idle until the very end where I goosed the throttle a bit before shutting her down.

http://www.smallfiles.org/download/369/April_2012_Coolant_Bleeding.xdl.html

Big fan turned on and ran for a while... little fan has not yet turned on.

Havent checked yet what the fan points are in the tune Adam did for me... it's kindof difficult to use my windows laptop with the bad screen.

I can datalog, and mostly read the dashboard... but other than that I cannot see things for crap.

Havent been able to really examine my own datalogs yet either. LOL

I just ordered a cheap netbook off of ebay... that should allow me to use tunerpro AND see what I am doing. Should be here in a few days.

I have a 180* Thermostat... I assume the tune accounts for that in regards to fan on/off temps...

you can change it. I can't remember what my base tune was at when I got it from him. but I changed it to work with the 180 thermostat I got. I can get the exact numbers I used but there is two you gotta change at least. actually 4 if you do both fans. I adjusted both. but each has a turn on and turn off temp you gotta set. I don't know what else but look around in there.

I am glad that you mentioned this!

... I just finished bleeding my coolant, and remembered this post. Looked under the car, lo and behold, oil is leaking out of the brand new oil pressure sensor!!! The engine has ran for about 20 minutes this afternoon, and I'd say there is about a quart of oil on the ground. It's parked over dirt so it's hard to tell exactly. Either way, WTF?!!

So... what brand of oil pressure sensor have you had good luck with in your TGPs?

WTMFF? are you serious? I don't know just keep an eye on that thing! :lol:

saw the 2nd datalog and the fan come on at 9:44 with a 1.5 V drop and the rpm changed only 200 rpm. the iac adjusted like 5 times up to 46 from 26. I gotta say looked pretty smooth.

you can change it. I can't remember what my base tune was at when I got it from him. but I changed it to work with the 180 thermostat I got. I can get the exact numbers I used but there is two you gotta change at least. actually 4 if you do both fans. I adjusted both. but each has a turn on and turn off temp you gotta set. I don't know what else but look around in there.

Yeah, I know what values to change for the fan temp... just cannot see anything to check the values or make changes with this laptop I'm using. I'll have a new laptop by this weekend, then I'll be able to use tunerpro without feeling like I'm on an acid trip. :lol:

WTMFF? are you serious? I don't know just keep an eye on that thing! :lol:

Yeah... I was not a happy camper.

Picking a new one up from oreilly's after work today. Better get a good one this time!

I want to know why the design on these things is so likely to leak... did a bit of internet searching and I get the impression GM oil pressure sensors have been leak prone ever since they started using them.

saw the 2nd datalog and the fan come on at 9:44 with a 1.5 V drop and the rpm changed only 200 rpm. the iac adjusted like 5 times up to 46 from 26. I gotta say looked pretty smooth.

Yeah, that pretty much confirms what I saw.

Aside from the oil pressure sensor I am really pleased with things so far.

Picked up a new oil pressure switch on my lunch break.

Just like the last one I got, this one has pipe dope pre-applied.

I got to thinking though, would it be OK to wrap teflon tape around it on top of the pre-applied pipe dope as cheap insurance?

looked like the fan kicked on at 180 so probably is right. only reason I had to change mine is I started off with a 160 t-stat. then changed it up.

I am going to datalog the black car today for the first time in a few months. been a month or two since I had the hard drive go bad in our little 10" Eee PC ASUS laptop. It got dropped. I am sure there is some things I need to touch up on now that its fixed. luckily all the BIN's and most of the datalogs were on the memory stick. got a couple more USB drives on Amazon.com recently so I could back-up the back-ups since they are so small now they can be lost easily. I also stopped using the video IPOD with my car stereo and just use those little cheapys instead now for my music. they work great.

Picked up a new oil pressure switch on my lunch break.

Just like the last one I got, this one has pipe dope pre-applied.

I got to thinking though, would it be OK to wrap teflon tape around it on top of the pre-applied pipe dope as cheap insurance?

where was your last one leaking from?

where was your last one leaking from?

I don't know yet, it's still on the car.

Although I just did some searching and apparently teflon tape is good to avoid.

The two stated reasons are 1) Little chunks of teflon accidentally making their way into the oil is no fun. and 2) Apparently engine oil can slowly dissolve teflon tape. :shrug:

Several people, according to google, seem to recommend using the paste type thread sealant in addition to the pre-applied goop on their oil pressure switches. So maybe I'll get some of that and use it if it looks like the old sensor was leaking from the threads.