Penglii's 1989 TGP

Penglii

well, at least i receive some good news today....

that revision has a perfectly functioning RPM X 50 value, so now you could spin it up to 8400 RPM if you wanted to, not that i recommend it.

as i expected, it's running a bit lean(not very much either from the looks of it, about 4%, unless the conversion is off for the ADX, you have a link to the manual or anything like that to double check?), i'm definitely going to turn down the prop steps to get the AFR swings a little less violent as well, at least for tuning, after that, they can be brought back to normal, if desired, for emissions reasons.

PENGLII_TGP_26lb_nAst1 1.00.zip

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penglii

• RobertISaar

• Garrett Powered

• White93z34

Ahhh good, I am glad to hear that is finally working!

I will load up v1.00 tomorrow, throw in like 7 gallons of fresh gas, and see how she goes around the block again.

unless the conversion is off for the ADX, you have a link to the manual or anything like that to double check?

I haz factory service manual if that's what you ask... what should I check?

no, the manual for whatever WB controller you're running. :lol:

i wouldn't expect a HUGE difference, i richened up the fueling a little bit via the injector table(BTW, when you got the 26 pounders, did they come with any transfer sheet showing injector response time vs battery voltage or anything like that?).

Oh duh!

Yeah... Innovate LC-1 Wideband manual says that 0V=.5λ (AFR of 7.35 for gasoline) and 5.0V=1.523λ

(AFR of 22.39 for gasoline). If that's helpful.

No, the injectors did not come with such a sheet... nor could I find such helpful data anywhere on the interwebz.

All I know about the injectors is they are GM#12561462, that they presumably come from a Corvette Z06 and that they are ~26lb flow at our fuel pressure.

that little A symbol represents Lambda.... and it looks like the conversion is already correct...

i keep thinking the injectors are aftermarket ones, they usually come with a transfer sheet like that... i think i would need to get ahold of someone with a factory LSx BIN and have them read them that way to be 100% certain on those values.

just looked at one of the datalogs.

hittin deep into the 14's. looks like the voltage is right on track. good work so far. wideband looked good so far. I will look over the other ones later when I have more time.

i think i would need to get ahold of someone with a factory LSx BIN and have them read them that way to be 100% certain on those values.

If it helps, it looks like the injectors I have were the stock injectors in the 2002-2004 Corvette Z06 and the 2001-2002 LS1 F-bodys.

Ahhhhh... well... I suppose I found part of the reason the drivablity was so poor going around the block yesterday... looks like rear brake calipers are seized. :gr_mad:

How fix?

Luck has been on my side up until now, so I have not personally done a brake job on a car in like 13 years and so I don't remember squat... do I gotta learn how to replace the rear calipers now?

Or is there something I can just pry on until it releases and be on my merry way?

Come to think of it I really should have checked the rear brakes a lot earlier... I have a sneeking suspicion they have been seized since slightly before I parked the car in October. It just has not moved since so I did not give it any thought, somehow the raw fuel dumping out the back distracted me at the time. :lol:

Sometimes I'm such a dumb-ass...Robert, you are totally right to "ugh" at me for this one!!! :bonk:

Edited by Penglii
I'm a dumb-ass today...

Fair enough :)

But I still probably deserve an UGH or at least a solid *facepalm* for knowing how awful the rear brakes are on these cars and still not thinking to check if they were seized.

I suppose I blamed most of the challanging drive home from work back in October on the busted stock fuel injectors, but the brakes being seized really fills in the blanks now!

*facepalm*

Service manual makes changing the rear calipers seem confusing and no fun.

I just cannot quite picture what needs to be done and how and using what...

I know it's supposed to be reasonably easy-ish...

BRAIN FAIL! :dunce:

Maybe it will make more sense later...

its easy, you go over to a 94+ w-body, take the calipers and put them on your car. just got mine done that way. dimpled and grooved rotors too off a scrapped out 95 cutty.

direct swap besides the e-brake, but the calipers are huge in comparison. I say just do yourself a huge favor and just do it.

i don't remember thinking them being huge in comparison.... at least not by itself. when throwing the caliper bracket into the picture, yeah, it does seem quite large.

slightly larger rotors as well.

I didn't do it personally, I brought the whole strut assembly from the olds over to him, he swapped over the caliper and the rotor. maybe not huge in comparison, but compared to import front brakes big

Yeah..... I thought about doing the 94+ brake upgrade, but I think I will wait.

I really just want to get the car finally drivable again. I understand that the upgrade is not difficult... but I is a brakes newb and kinda just want some "normal" brake experience before I dive into modifications. Once the Raybestos Loaded Calipers I picked up eventually (inevitably) fail then I will go 94+.

Hopefully I will be spending my Sunday doing the rear brakes and replacing the accumulator. Sucks to be me I haz the PMIII... so I figure this is already gonna take all day to do right... what with the learning curve and all. :lol:

Question though.. with the rear brakes I know I have to manually bleed the crap out of those (too bad I have no pressure bleeder kit, or pressure source, so the Tech-1 is useless with this part), and thankfully the Tech-1 will assist me with the otherwise PITA solenoid bleed for the accumulator...

... but should I bleed the front calipers too? I know they still work since the car actually came to a stop during my short test drive... but would it be worth the trouble to bleed the old brake fluid from them? Or is it OK to save myself the trouble and flush those another day?

GRRRRRRR... freaking 22 year old accumulator is seized onto the PMIII. :gr_mad:

Seems like MOAR TORQUE cannot be the answer without totally destroying things.

Sprayed some PB Blaster back there as best as I could, gonna let it sit like an hour and try again... hopefully it helps.

I guess if it's still stuck then MOAR PB Blaster and let it sit until tomorrow...

GRRRRRRR... freaking 22 year old accumulator is seized onto the PMIII. :gr_mad:

Seems like MOAR TORQUE cannot be the answer without totally destroying things.

Sprayed some PB Blaster back there as best as I could, gonna let it sit like an hour and try again... hopefully it helps.

I guess if it's still stuck then MOAR PB Blaster and let it sit until tomorrow...

What are you using to remove it?

What are you using to remove it?

Socket, U-joint, extention, 3/8" ratchet.

I quit with the muscling when I see the pressure switch start to move... I feel that any more force would be WAY too much and risks damage to the PMIII housing.

PB Blaster+24 hours= no such thing as seized :thumbsup:

I just hope that some of it actually got down by the threads... it's not exactly easy to reach that spot with a can of PB Blaster. I just hosed the crap out of the area (and wiped off as much pooling and overspray as I could reach) and am crossing my fingers that capillary action is my friend. :lol:

PB Blaster is officially the best thing EVER!

Somehow bruised both of my elbows pretty good when the accumulator finally broke loose... but I so don't even care, I'm just so happy to have that 22 year old accumulator out of there and the brand new one is in place. :dance:

Now I just gotta tackle the rear calipers... here's hoping that goes well.

New rear calipers are in place, so that's good. It was a PITA but not as bad as I feared.... nobody around today to help me bleed them though, so I gotta do that another day.

• 10 months later...

Alright... not quite a year since my last post here... but close. Hooray for this unseasonably warm weather!

Gonna take another crack at getting the TGP running this year.

Pulled the plenum today and installed a set of 26lb Accel injectors. Newer silver bodied style, used but only for ~1000 miles, basically just long enough to guarantee me that they all work correctly... scored 8 of them for just $50! :dance:

Also found a major clue... when I upgraded to the allegedly 26lb corvette injectors, I apparently epic failed at seating the injectors into the LIM. They were seated in the rail perfectly, but basically just barely pushed into the LIM... I'm sure they were getting crap for a seal. This explains a lot. So I probably did not need to upgrade the injectors, just actually seat them properly... but new Accel injectors... you cannot go wrong.

Broke the Coolant Temp Sender beneath the Thermostat housing... so a new one of those is coming from Rockauto.

Hopefully a new Vacuum Spider is in the mail as well... assuming this order is not cancelled like my gmpartsdirect order was.

Sorry Robert... but I'm also getting a new tune from Adam (flybynite on TGPforums)... so that should be gravy.

Once all that comes together I just gotta finally do a full PMIII bleed... ugh, I've been putting that job off for so long...