• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carkhz316

• Addicted to eaton

• Dark Ride

• AL

I'm cheap and I use 89 octane in my GTP, I used 87 a couple times when I was going on long trips, but if I did WOT the knock retard was so bad that I lost most of the power. I've got my stock L67 PCM that we could try just to rule out the PCM and the tune. Maybe that tune doesn't like the higher compression of the L36, especially when you start adding boost to the mix, you may NEED to run full 91 or 92 octane.

As for the TC issue, I guess I'm at a loss, my GTP has never had any problems locking up. Once it shifts to 4th (under normal driving, not WOT) it locks up almost instantly just as it should.

That would be awesome to try your stock PCM to see what the differences would be or if it would change anything. I think my car actually has 89 at the moment (I always filled it with that since it is typically only a penny or so more usually.)

Lets see here.

What size pulley are you running, With no mods to the exhaust/intake etc. You need to be running like a 4.0-4.2. a 3.8 pulley on a n/a bottom end is kind of like running a 3.4 on a stock gtp. Its stupid to say the least.

As for cutting out, i still say its 1 of 3 things, Gap on spark plugs (gap to .55-.60) Plug wires on incorrect or bad, or a bad coil. But a tune is a big thing, i just don't see it causing a misfire.

as for the tq, Every 3800 supercharged car i have drove kinda hunts, it moves the rpm like 100-200rpm back and forth around 45mph trying to decide if it wants to lock or not. Most i have seen do it up a little hill at 1/4 throttle

Ya, I gapped all the plugs to .060", and rechecked the front ones this morning. All same.

I would like to eliminate wires simply cuz they're brand new, and triple checked the running order (plus it runs fine in park and nuetral all the way to rev limiter)

Coils *should* be good. They are the same original one's from my Monte, pulled in perfect running condition.

Ya, about the pulley, thought I would be safe running stock. I think outer diameter is 4.0", and sheave would be that ~3.8" so, to small huh? Stock intake for now. No cat on the exhaust. 180* drilled thermostat.

TCC bugs me cuz it worked perfect in L36 form. Solid lockup everytime at ~45mph, wouldn't come out unless it kicked out of 4th. Stayed in for most hills; unlocked with the let-off of the gas of tap the brakes. I guess it probably wasn't a long enough drive maybe for the trans to warm up, but it seemed to hunt for quite awhile from ~45mph to ~60mph, even with light throttle, flat road. I don't know, just really bugs me.

yeah with that pulley, you seeing way to much kr, i will put my life on that. Install a 3 inch down pipe, and a CAI, u-bend delete. and have it tuned, and you would be good to go with little kr, If it was me, i would spend 205$ and forget about the Exhaust. Anyone that says a modded 3.8 Does not need headers, has no right to be around a modded 3800 lol.

I have drove gtp's with as little as 12k miles, and maximum of 274k miles. They all seem to hunt a little looking for the tq. 99 3.8 supercharged park avenue too, Wait i take that back ONE didn't... But it was a 6 speed :)

Working on the CAI. Getting my shroud stuff hopefully fabbed up soon by a buddy who does machining/ metal work. Otherwise I might just dump it in the fender. Gonna get the 3 inch DP real soon. No u-bend to worry about. 98-99 Z never had em.

Dumb question, what would you spend $205 on? Another dumb question, how do I go about switching the blower pulley's, and where would I find a larger one?

And as far as the TCC hunting goes, like I mentioned, it just really bugs me that it didn't do it before, and now it's sits there and flucuates ~200RPM's back and forth, back and forth. But, I emailed 3800performance again and they mentioned the trans having different gear ratio's then what's on the PCM. Would explain some things.

yeah that would explain it i did not think about that!

205$ Headers shipped to your door.

you need to rent a supercharger pulley puller (also used to press on)

Ahhhhh. Headers. Might have to. Where are they from for that price? Good/ bad?

Where's the best place to get the puller?

Lastly, for all intents and purposes, I really don't feel the urge to mod this thing. My primary objective is to get this to a reliable "stock" form with the top-swap. I just want it to run well and be reliable, but not much else. I'm really just looking for what you think is necessary for add-ons to get me to this point.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-2001-2002-PONTIAC-GRAND-PRIX-GTP-EXHAUST-HEADER-6s-/170469647796?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b0c865b4#ht_3131wt_939

I have had 2 sets now, i have them on my 99, i bought a set and traded them for a cam (yeah more then what i paid) 2 or three local guys have the, LOVE them have to modify that fire wall a little for the o2 unit, (sledge hammer) or have a shop relocate it.

You should take it to a friend/shop with a scanner and see if and how much KR the computer is seeing. Some fresh fuel wouldn't hurt either.

BTW, we've gotta meetup some time soon.

EDIT: Not a bad price on the headers, my only concern would be fitment.

Edited by Dark Ride

Cool. Almost seems like heck of a bargain for those if they're the real deal. I was gonna jump on one of the MAF's that Kuntzie had till someone grabbed both, so I might have to shop around. Either of you have an extra?????:D

So I went and measured my blower pulley. Thought it had never been messed with, but dimensions are as follows: Outer pulley diameter: 3 11/16". The inner diameter to the belt grooves about ~ 3 7/16". This is a 3.4 pulley isn't it:bash:

EDIT: Friday night, after the first maiden test voyage, I took another down the block drive with the blower belt off, and it still acted the same, as in hiccuped/ stuttered and cut out, but much less and less intense. SOooooooooo......what does anyone think? Can I just leave the blower belt off to work out if I do or don't have an existing engine issue unrelated to boost?

Edited by carkhz316

Gosh I hope not. I just don't understand, since they all worked fine just a few weeks ago prior to tear down of my L36. Also checked it earlier today with this OTC scan tool I'm borrowing and theres no codes or failure records.:think::shrug:

Just looked it on rockauto, and the AC Delco one's had the same part number, E530C/ #89056799. Didn't look too close at the others. I'll try to mail that remote starter tomorrow

ill maill 2 coils for you in the morning also, (one went bad on my car) so i only got 2 spares. unless 3100's are the same (they look like it) i got like 9 of them LOL

Yeah, mine does that going up hill but then I just give it more throttle until I'm to the top. :) I guess I'll just be thankful that mine doesn't do that otherwise.

Ohh, just wait. Haha. Mine started off a few months after I got it doing that while going up hill around 41-45mph. 3 years later it does it pretty much every day going into 4th gear at around the same speed.