monoleaf pad pictures

96oldsmobubble

Hello, I am in the process of restoring my rear suspension on my 96 Cutlass. I am now installing the white isolator pads for the rear leaf and want to make sure I am installing them correct.I have not had too good of luck with the search option other than seeing there was a writeup done on this in the past. I am unable to pull the writeup for some reason. Can someone please show me a picture of a properly installed isolator pad? I have one in, flat side down on spindle and the leaf sitting in the indented side, centered in the spindle. It doesn't look right to me for some reason. Maybe I'm complicating it or not seeing something correctly? Thanks! Tim

:thumbsup:Thank you Matt! Wow I was waaaay off. For some reason my blocks are two wide to fit that way:think: I guess thats why I have a dremel tool? How come your car has a stack of three springs back there?

I've got to replace mine too. Do they come in a pair or each?? The sites I've been to (AZ, NAPA, Adv.) are vague in discription pictures show pairs but, Napa sells ea. at $23, AZ $26 (doesn't say pair or ea.) and Advance sells Dorman which doesn't look the same. CONFUSED!! I ordered from Adv. but am willing to stop the shipping if need be to order the others.

the box contains a pair. Mine were from Autozone under a Duralast part # of #361660 or SK7050 referred to as "leaf spring helper" Autozone was asking $26.99 I had them price match O'Reilly's for $22.99.

• 1 month later...

How do you install these things? I am wary of lifting the end of the spring with a jack. I don't want to loose a finger or hand.

very tricky getting the upward force on the spring while clearing the knuckle as you are jacking it up. I read in here to use a piece of wood that will fit between the lateral arms, that can absorb some of the "bite" of the jack and stop from sliding down the spring as you apply pressure. The hardest part is getting the old material scraped off the fiberglass, I used GOO GONE to help break up the glue and a sharp utility knife to cut around the angled tip of the spring. This is where you wanna watch your fingers and make sure your stable on the jack.

I rammed those isolators in with what was left of the rubber on my Lumina...without it the spring was sagged so much that it still wasn't at proper ride height lol

• 2 weeks later...
I rammed those isolators in with what was left of the rubber on my Lumina...without it the spring was sagged so much that it still wasn't at proper ride height lol

Yeah, that's why I need to do this. My car looks like a Ford with blown out airbags.

small block of wood to lift the spring with a hydraulic jack and raise it up. take and tap the new block in place with a hammer, and do NOT put your fingers between the spring and knuckle. clean off what you can with a screwdriver and let it be.

MOOG # K6544

IMG00024-20100617-1847.jpg

Looks kind of small to me.

Which "notch" is the spring end supposed to sit in?

NEITHER. that is the underside of the device. the two lips are intended to catch the outside edges of the knuckle. The spring rides on top.

NEITHER. that is the underside of the device. the two lips are intended to catch the outside edges of the knuckle. The spring rides on top.

Thank you. Good to know. My original pads are literally gone so I have nothing to go from.

Thank you. Good to know. My original pads are literally gone so I have nothing to go from.

??? these were never installed on the car at the factory... or do you mean you had some put in in the past? Either way they orignally had rubber, and these work fine, so put em in.

??? these were never installed on the car at the factory... or do you mean you had some put in in the past? Either way they orignally had rubber, and these work fine, so put em in.

My factory rubber pads are gone. I assume they rotted out. Because of this my car sits low and I am also scared of a crack developing in the spring because of their contact with the cast knuckle.