Biggest door speakers w/o modding?

supertrick_05

I'm wondering what the biggest size speaker I could put in the doors without having to modify too much. Has anyone put in 5.25 or 6.5" in their doors without heavy modification? Let me know. Thanks!

I have a 6.5" component set in the doors of my 89 TGP. Me and a guy that i work with made pods out of fiberglass to fit the speakers. We used the factory 4x6 brackets as a base and built off of them.

Nice! Do you have pics by chance? I have a buddy of mine that loves to make things out of fiberglass and would probably be up to making me some nice door pods. Don't worry, I wouldn't steal your design...we'd make our own. I just wanna see how yours looks :)

I *might* have some pics of the finished products, ill look on my laptop when i get home. They were nothing pretty to look at thats for sure. But all i cared was that they fit, which they did, right into the stock locations. Was a bit tricky getting the door panel back on though. And those panels are a complete PITA to take on and off to begin with!

Well I'm all about ripping out the interior and doing everything right the first time, so hopefully I don't HAVE to take it apart again...LoL!

I just got a high quality set of 3 way JL components and put 4" in the door pods easily. I sealed them off with fiberglass and everything too but the airspace is so small in the pod. not sure how much less air space you would have with a bigger speaker but I know it is not enough. I think the morel 3 way components have a small enough midrange. its a high range mid.

you dont really need to pull more bass from the doors, just voice and high range. if you are wanting more sound just get good high power 4" and save yourself the trouble of squeezing in bigger ones in the door. then get a subwoofer if its not enough bass. just my opinion.

Well I'm all about ripping out the interior and doing everything right the first time, so hopefully I don't HAVE to take it apart again...LoL!

I gotta take my drivers door off again when i put the car back on the road. Drivers door actuator took a shit. Again. This is gonna be 3rd or 4th time ive had that damn door panel off.

I biggest I could fit in my Lumina front doors was 5.25" speakers. The 6.5" would physically fit but the magnets were too big and hit the door glass when the window was rolled down.

I never ended up installing eithe spet but I know the 5.25" would have fit. I forget which model, but they were MB Quart speakers and I ended up selling them for more than I paid for them 3 years later haha..