Fuel Gauge Keeps Moving

djrobnyc

So is it using that once-every-two-minutes data from the level sensor to auto-correct it's estimate based on the last known reading combined with the instant injector pulse data? That would explain why a fuel vapor leak from the tank area would cause the DIC reading to jump downward in large increments every so often instead of just an overall more rapid decrease.

you're on the right track. it constantly monitors the level in a 'rolling 2 minutes' meaning, it takes a sample once every 5 seconds and then adds that number with every previous number from the previous 1 min and 55 seconds and divides by the number of samples. it clears out the earliest reading once it's buffer fills up. and i believe it will change the displayed number once every 5 or 15 seconds.

you're on the right track. it constantly monitors the level in a 'rolling 2 minutes' meaning, it takes a sample once every 5 seconds and then adds that number with every previous number from the previous 1 min and 55 seconds and divides by the number of samples. it clears out the earliest reading once it's buffer fills up. and i believe it will change the displayed number once every 5 or 15 seconds.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you for helping me understand. :biggrin: