Wintering Car

mdelorie

Well, the Roomy Loomy's goin' away in about a month now, time to bring out the Rally Car.

In past years, I've put the car up on jackstands, removed the wheels, and put a car cover on it. Also used some fuel stabilizer. Any other suggestions? I normally change the oil right before it goes away. Someone was telling me that you should add a quart right before you start it up the first time in the spring, to better lubricate the top-end.

But, yeah, any other ideas you guys have to preserve my baby would be most helpful.

You could pick up some 'fogging oil' such as CRC's Engine Stor which you spray into the intake with the filter off right as you shut it down for the winter. This will leave a corrosion inhibitor on the cylinder walls and lubricate it somewhat for firing back up next spring.

lol seems like nearly half of the people i know that have winter beaters use ford tempos, aparently they are good for it? cheap, front wheel drive, worthless (except as a 1st car for us highschool kids, and winter beaters for other people) me myself drive a 92 sonoma in the winter, but it doesnt get stored in the summer, my brother drives it in the summer. one of the things you can do is squirt a little oil into each on of the cylinders through the spark plug hole and les it soak in for a few minutes and then turn your engine over. if your storing your car for the winter you should probably drain the coolant, just enough so that there isnt any in the cylinder head, because if you leave it in you could crack the cylinder head when it freezes, and that isnt good! another thing would be change the oil, even if you arent driving it, and let it run up till operating temperature right before you store it (just let it idle till the fans turn on) and you should disconnect the barry if you are storing it as well, vacuum it out and steam clean it/shampoo it if possible, get everywhere, under the seats and the floor mats and everything, and it wouldnt hurt to put a couple sticky mouse traps under the seats and in the trunk, just to be on the safe side :wink: but if you steam clean it out or shampoo it, make sure you let it air out for a few days, let it air out COMPLETELY otherwise youll be in a smelly car the next time you go to drive it, sorry this is so long, try to sift through all the information to find the good stuff

Winterizing my Regal....

look at front tires, think, gonna be a slippery year.

look at overflow tank, think, wish I could see the water level.

contemplate PMIII ABS, think, light will start coming on again.

contemplate oil changes, think, hope boss keeps the shop floor clear.

contemplate battery, think, no prob. new!!