english/metric button

hazmatic

It switches your digital dash from english to metric.. the speed/odometer will change. You don't really NEED it unless you're planning on driving in canada or some other spot that impliments metric.

i knew what it did but y is it only in the older gm cars or is it in newer ones 2??

so its ok if i pull it out?

what is it connected to so i can take it complety out wires n all if i can?

can i rip it out with no problems?

Yes, you can rip it out. I believe that when it is switched to metric, it grounds the circiut. On english, it's an open circiut. When you rip it out, it will be an open circiut. I used mine once when I drove to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls.

I have a '90-'96 analog gauge cluster that I'm going to put in mine (GP). It doesn't use the english/metric function, so I'm taking mine out too. On mine, It's part of the wiper switch assembly, so I'm just going to swap that to the later style one.

Yes, you can rip it out. I believe that when it is switched to metric, it grounds the circiut. On english, it's an open circiut. When you rip it out, it will be an open circiut. I used mine once when I drove to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls.

I have a '90-'96 analog gauge cluster that I'm going to put in mine (GP). It doesn't use the english/metric function, so I'm taking mine out too. On mine, It's part of the wiper switch assembly, so I'm just going to swap that to the later style one.

BlueGP... If you do that, then you will need the get the headlight pod switch so that the two paods match.. Cuz the 90-93 pod buttons changed to flipper style and in the way it operates. Otherwise you are going to have mis-matched pods.

I'm not even sure the 90-93 headlight pod switch PIN locations are in the same place as the 88-89

Hey hasmatic, if you do rip it out....I want the ends of the wires, I need the connector tips at the ends of the wires. There are three wires in there, black for ground, grey for illuminating the litle red light in the center of the button , and blue or green for the E/M switch to the cluster.

I need those wire connector ends. Pin-outs. I can't find a used regal in a yard up here for sh&*t. "Oh, we crushed al of the 94 back Regals"

Remove the instrument bezal, unscrew the 4 screws and pull out the switch. It just pulls straight out. then you'll see the unit it plugs into.

You squeeze the tabs together and it just pops right out. The wires are plugged into that. You can snip the wires from it to remove the unit. Never hurts to wrap electrical tape around the wires after snipping.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE THE BUTTON RELEASED....THE DASH IN ENGLISH BEFORE DOING ALL THIS. Actually it would revert to english as soon as you snip the wire.

Then, You could carefully insert a paper clip into where the wires are plugged in to unclip them......or just mail the whole dang thing....prepaid of course. Better if the wires were just mailed in a plain old cheap white envelope. I'm extremely poor.....

Think of me when you snip!!!!!

Lee...Oh yeah, I fanaly got the pics of the cluster swap. I have to scan now.

BlueGP... If you do that, then you will need the get the headlight pod switch so that the two paods match.. Cuz the 90-93 pod buttons changed to flipper style and in the way it operates. Otherwise you are going to have mis-matched pods.

I'm not even sure the 90-93 headlight pod switch PIN locations are in the same place as the 88-89

Yes, to match, I'm going to change the headlight switch too. Also, my original one includes the reset switch for the digital trip odometer which is not needed for the analog cluster.

I believe that the '90 switch pods are unique as the wiper switch pod has 3 paddles and the headlight switch pod includes the optional security lighting switch. The '91-'93 wiper switch pod has 2 paddles (it still has the same functions) and I think the security lighting feature was dropped for these years.

My car has the security lighting. I acquired 2 '90 headlight switch pods - 1 with foglights (3 paddles) and 1 without (2 paddles). Both have the security lighting feature. I also have 2 wiper switch pods - a '90 and a '91-'93. Each of these have different pin locations and I'm sure the ones in the car are different yet. I haven't ripped into it yet, but I'm hoping that it will just be a matter of changing the wire locations in the connectors. Actually, I like the push-button ones ('88-'89) better, so if I can't get the paddle ones to work, I wont be too upset.

By the way, I like your car. It's nice to see a NASCAR theme rather than a ricer theme. I'd like to make mine look like a SE also.

Well, All I can say BlueGP, is that you have done your homework!!! .. You are right about the 90 swtich pods may be your best bet. I do know that not all 89 Base and LE models came with the security lighting feature. So that why I didn't think about it.. I forgot to realize all 88-90 SE's probably had it.

Thank you for the complements on my 89 GP. At least you are educated enough to know the difference between NASCAR and RICE. You have my profound respect. Nowaday's all these teenagers seem to know is a blanket concept of RICE. :arrow: I mean at the car shows there's 6-7-AND 8 Year olds that still know the difference. Why don't the current generation of teens? Is it zero IQ??? :roll: :roll:

I even have some of the actual NASCAR decals that were used on the real pace cars. But have not added those yet. Because in the future, I am going to repaint the GP to match the graphics of the 1998 40th Daytona GP Pace Car. But I'm going to use my current colors (Red/White/Black/Gray) . And 98% will be painted graphics. There's going tobe only a few decals that I mentioned above. I am also thinking of adding the 89-90 B4M Turbo or the 91-93 B4U body kit befoire the paint is done. All that depends on how lucky I get at the Junkyards :shock: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Gearhead43 for the kind words. It sounds like your car will look pretty cool when done. Are you going to add the hood scoops (from the pace car) too?

haven't thought about it... that would be the GGTX -SLP style scoops of a whole new custom made hood... :shock: :shock: I dunno yet since I'll have to see about the TGP louvers :wink:

Hey, did I miss something? Haz, why are you putting neons on a junked car? Is that the only place you can put the switches? Seems like a hassle. Anyway, good luck hazmatic, ya weirdo.

nascar huh?

WTF???

i think your down, oh, about 600hp from them :roll:

huhh? Duuh? :oops: RE-READ the post please. "NASCAR PACE" cars.. Do not have 600+ horsepower...... :oops:

Thank you... :lol: :lol: :lol: