What to use to seal body seams?

paulo57509

its most likely leaking from the tails.

you can remove them, clean them up, and use a bead of silicone caulk to seal out moisture.

if you have tried this and it didn't help, maybe it is the body seam.

The 3M stuff is probably what most body shops use. Here's a little blurb of info I found on a quick search.

"3Mâ„¢ Automotive Joint and Seam Sealer

Firm-setting sealer for interior and exterior auto body seams and joints. Replaces and repairs factory sealing jobs in trunk, floor and drip rail areas."

http://www.3m.com/Product/information/Automotive-Joint-Seam-Sealer.html

Where is yours leaking? My Cutlass convertible appears to be leaking at the corners of the trunk, near the roof..is this a common leak point?

I finally got the dreaded leaky trunk and it's leaking water at the panel seams. 3M makes body seam sealer, but what do you guys use?

TIA

Mine leaks, and i have no idea where. I used that body sealant on ALL of the seams, the rear window has been replaced. I sealed the tails and i have no idea why it wont seal.

Im gonna take out all of the carpet and my speakers, and then use some body schutz and spray the living hell out of it. Its gonna be like a truck liner.... hopefully that will seal it.

Thanks for the replies. I was going to buy some 3M brush on sealer.

My trunk leaks on the passenger side where the rear panel and fender meet. It's an old repair job that wasn't done very good. It also leaks right above the wheel well. I have yet to figure out where this leak is really coming from.

Yeah the 3M stuff works great, my trunk doesnt leak where i put that stuff, i just dont know where the heck the water is coming in from...

If you use it, just make sure you clean the surfaces really well and let it dry thoroughly!