How much on a 5-Speed Swap???

dkorinko

My tranny is in desperate need of a rebuild and i thought i would go ahead and see how much a 5-speed swap would be. Obviously i would have to change from Jeff M's top gun chip but I was wondering if a few people that have done it could give me a good idea on how it would cost. Thanks.

Guest TurboSedan

salvage yards can charge whatever....i just happened to get mine for $160 but it needs a clutch fork (i'll just reuse my old one). i wouldn't pay over $500 for everything tho. a salvage yard near me has an '88 Getrag 282 and comes with all parts including center console (you'd only have a choice of red or blue tho), axles, clutch hydraulics, clutch fluid reservoir, pedals....everything needed for a swap for $320. it has like 147,xxx miles or so but they told me it checks out good. the tranny i bought even came with a 60 day warranty. if you need any small parts (like anything besides the trans itself) i can probably find those around here for pretty cheap.

joshua

IM getting mine for $200 and it just had a new Preformance Clutch installed...the guy is holding it for me...and that is will all the parts from new CV's to the Shifter its self.

I know where to get 282's from Ga's corsicas and berettas and if anyone wants one of those they are 250-350....plus I can ship them if needed for you...

Guest TurboSedan
IM getting mine for $200 and it just had a new Preformance Clutch installed...the guy is holding it for me...and that is will all the parts from new CV's to the Shifter its self.

I know where to get 282's from Ga's corsicas and berettas and if anyone wants one of those they are 250-350....plus I can ship them if needed for you...

the 282's in the Grand Am's are the weak Isuzu 282's...GA's never came with a 60'V6/Getrag 282 combo. UNLESS you get a Getrag 282 from a HO Quad 4 GA (or an Achieva SVX, 442 Calais for that matter). then you'd have to swap the bellhousing to fit the 60' V6 BUT you'd have better gearing (not as steep) than a W-body 282....

btw, how was the performance clutch installed on the tranny? clutches are installed on the motor (?).

joshua

the 282's in the Grand Am's are the weak Isuzu 282's...GA's never came with a 60'V6/Getrag 282 combo. UNLESS you get a 282 from a HO Quad 4 GA (or an Achieva SVX for that matter). then you'd have to swap the bellhousing to fit the 60' V6 BUT you'd have better gearing than a W-body 282....

btw, how was the performance clutch installed on the tranny? clutches are installed on the motor (?).

joshua

I thought clutches went on the tranny? well, one disc on the motor, one on the tranny, either way, the shaft has to be long enough for both... it could have simply come on the tranny...

I bought my donor car for tranny, shifter and cables, clutch slave and master (89 GP SE 2.8 5-speed) for $400. Then resold the running 2.8 for $400.

Centerforce Clutch (don't recommend) was like $300+

TGP Half-shafts balanced and rebuilt $160

Sweet looking grey Soft Leather shift boot $20

GMPCM program for chip work $10

The rest is a lot of man hours on your part and PATIENCE!! :wink:

I thought clutches went on the tranny? well, one disc on the motor, one on the tranny, either way, the shaft has to be long enough for both... it could have simply come on the tranny...

Actually the pressure plate secures the clutch disk to the flywheel of the motor. The tranny input shaft then goes into a spline in the clutch disk... 8)

Guest TurboSedan

i was just asking because 1st the flywheel gets bolted onto the end of the crank, then the clutch disc is installed with a clutch alignment tool, and then the pressure plate gets bolted on over the clutch disc. the throwout bearing is installed on the tranny tho. THEN you can install the tranny, which can be a PITA when doing it yourself because the splines need to be aligned and you don't want the TO bearing to fall off the input shaft. seriously - that was the hardest part of my 5-speed swap. another person turning the engine would have really helped while i tried to align the splines so i could mate the tranny.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

TGP Half-shafts balanced and rebuilt $160

The rest is a lot of man hours on your part and PATIENCE!! :wink:

you didn't reuse the '89 GP manual axles Kenny? or did you shorten the TGP axles when they were balanced & rebuilt? are TGP axles stronger?

and yeah, the 5-speed swap does require alot of patience. i did 90% of the job myself tho, and i had never even replaced a clutch before then.

joshua

you didn't reuse the '89 GP manual axles Kenny?

May mistake. The 89 SE axles were used on the 5-speed swap. Felt some front end vibration when I drove the donor car home and had them balanced... 8)