getrag 282 behind my turbo 3.1?

turbostewhite

• 20 years later...
On 9/20/2003 at 12:07 AM, skalor said:

It's true that a lot of fiero guys have put some insane motor combos in front of the 282(i.e. LT1, LS1, N*, L67, and SBs too of course). Do they hold the power? Well, I have heard of a lot that hold it and a lot that break. Usually though, the ones that break are high mileage units(200,000+). So, my advice is to get as low a unit as possible, and use only GM Syncromesh tranny fluid!! As far as the clutch goes, a lot of Fiero guys swear by the SPEC units. They have clutches for the 282 that can handle over 450 ftlbs of torque!! :shock:

I'm swapping in a getrag 284 from a DOHC 3.4 Cutlass Supreme. A lot of people avoid the 284 due to the fact that parts are not available for it, and if you want it rebuilt you have to send it to GM directly. Plus, the clutches are hella expensive compared to 282 clutches($489 for a 284 SPEC stage 1 compared to around $299 for a 282 SPEC stage 3) :shock: Anyways, I decided on the 284 because I got the whole setup for around $150, which is axles, tranny, mounts, shifter, shifter cables, clutch pedal, slave/master cylinder, and few other goodies. :)

Can you at least get 284 seals?