wheel question

jake91

I would urge you to look at 18's rather than 17's. Our stock 16's look like monster truck tires with all that rubber and 17's aren't much better. I really think 18's are a perfect combination of rim size with an ideal amount of sidewall. (I'm going off of the assumption you will go with a tire size close to OEM.)

I have 18x8's, and 245-45-18 is a perfect match to OEM size. Speedometer is perfectly accurate.

If your speedometer is perfectly accurate, I'd say youd be doing alot better than alot of people that have W-bodies with the stock wheel size

I personally don't think 17's look all that bad.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=79396.0

First off, 18's make our already small rotors look even smaller, they slow your car down even more as a result of added weight and the weight being farther toward the outside of the wheel's diameter, the ride is even more uncomfortable, and good luck getting a set of all season tires to your doorstep for under $550 plus tax. I guarantee you that you will not find a better deal than that on an 18" tire that will fit our cars.

I would urge you to look at 18's rather than 17's. Our stock 16's look like monster truck tires with all that rubber and 17's aren't much better.

I'll co-sign this statement....especially when you are going out and buying new wheels. Now if you had a set of 17s laying around then ya throw them on, otherwise I wouldn't waste the $ buying new wheels that are so small.

i can get 17's for 480 and 18s for 580

tires i can get for 400 on 17's 500 on 18's

so 17's are 900

18's are 1100

i dont make much money

i can get 17's for 480 and 18s for 580

tires i can get for 400 on 17's 500 on 18's

so 17's are 900

18's are 1100

i dont make much money

Wow, where in the world are you getting 18" tires for $500 to your doorstep? I searched online for days to try to find the new tires for my Bonneville. Maybe our tires would be thinner? My size was 235/50/18 and the absolute best deal I could get was $138 per tire with discount tire, which was lowest than the lowest random website shipped price.

Either way, they are indeed more expensive.

Wow, where in the world are you getting 18" tires for $500 to your doorstep? I searched online for days to try to find the new tires for my Bonneville. Maybe our tires would be thinner? My size was 235/50/18 and the absolute best deal I could get was $138 per tire with discount tire, which was lowest than the lowest random website shipped price.

fwiw: you can get 4 new 235/50/18 tires (which is kind of an odd size) shipped to your door for less the $450....they are not going to be a high end brand but they would be new....245/45/18 (correct upsize for w-body) can be had for ~$390 shipped

fwiw: you can get 4 new 235/50/18 tires (which is kind of an odd size) shipped to your door for less the $450....they are not going to be a high end brand but they would be new....245/45/18 (correct upsize for w-body) can be had for ~$390 shipped

Well naturally if you're going to go with an 18" rim, you probably want some decent performance. I don't want to be sliding all over the place when it snows here (which it is right now).

Impala SS's, Bonneville GXP's, late model Mustang GT's, and a vast range of Cadillac CTS's, DTS's, and STS's use 235/50/18's, just to name a few.

Why would they not be the correct upscale for a w-body? On an 18" rim, wouldn't a 245 section width actually have a wider tread pattern than a 245 16" tire?

I just looked it up.

My old Firehawk Indy 500's at 235/60/15 had a section width of 9.5" and a tread width of 7.7".

My new Pirelli P6 Four Seasons at 235/50/17 have a tread width the same as the section width at 9.3".

I'm wondering if a 245/45/18 tire would rub on a w-body.

245 no matter what size rim its going on, will always be the same width (245 millimeters), and the second number is what percentage of size the sidewall compared to the width (50 would be half as tall (sidewall) as it is wide)... Then the final number, is the rim size

245 no matter what size rim its going on, will always be the same width (245 millimeters), and the second number is what percentage of size the sidewall compared to the width (50 would be half as tall (sidewall) as it is wide)... Then the final number, is the rim size

There's a lot more to it than that. Section width is not equal to tread width, and on smaller rims with the same overall wheel size, you will have a smaller tread with. The first number is section width, which is the widest part of the tire. On a 15 and 16" tire on our cars, I can guarantee you that your tread width will be smaller than your section width.

If you take the exact same diameter wheel on a 15" rim and a 18" rim and you compare the diagonal diameter, you will discover that its larger on an 18" wheel than on the 15" wheel, thereby causing more potential rub issues. You could in theory run a larger diameter tire on a 15" wheel than on an 18" wheel.

18in 077's, new tires, 850 shipped to door?

What kind of tires?

Who on a 1st gen w-body runs a 245/45/18 tire btw? I know for a FACT my regal would never fit that size. The 235/60/15 firehawk indy 500's were half an inch smaller in diameter and rubbed the fenderwells and had a nearly 2" smaller tread width than a 245/45/18 tire. I can take a picture of the inner fenderwells if you don't believe me.

My fiance's sister just bought the exact same tires and she's rubbing as well.