abs

hazmatic

lol i thought that was pretty clever myself haha, but sorry i dont know much about A.B.S. the most i know about it is that there are 2 fuse slots labeled ABS in my fuse panel behind the glove box

You wouldn't have the patience for it, I'm pretty sure!

You'd need to replace your master cylinder with the ABS one (that has the modulator attached). Replace ALL brake lines.

Replace halfshafts.

Add sensors to the front knuckles.

Replace rear hubs.

Run wiring to all sensors.

Run wiring from ABS modulator into car to connect to ABS computer.

Add wiring underhood for ABS relays and such.

It's a big job! It can (and has) been done before, but it's only worth doing if you really really want ABS and you really really love this car.

Yeah, why would you want ABS? I mean yeah, its a very helpful safety thing, but its something else to go wrong, especially if you got the PMIII. And like Shawn said, its so much of a hassle to add for something that you may use a few times a year. Not worth it, IMO

Robby

an experienced human driver is better than any ABS system anyway :wink:

Unfortunately there isn't as many of those as you'd think. I personally love my ABS and it has saved my ass a couple of times in the snow. If it doesn't snow a lot where you are then don't worry about it. I still don't know why anyone would be stupid enough to disable it if your car came with it though and it was working.

ABS screws me up in the winter...

ahhh well, if I ever fix the ABS on my Z, maybe it'll be different...

is it 4 wheel ABS? (my truck only had REAR wheel ABS, and when it kicked in, and released pressure on the back brakes... it would lock up the front wheels)

4-wheel, 3-channel. The front 2 wheels can be controlled independently while the rear 2 are together.

Gen 2 W-bodies got 4-channel ABS starting 1998 (all wheels independent).

Also (smelly), there's no PM4. 92-97 ABS is VI (6). I don't know what happened to 4, and 5 is the 4-channel Bosch system used in the Gen 2 GP's and Intrigues (5.3 to be exact).