Stereo Swap-95 Aurora CD stereo to 95 Cutlass W/SWRC

Galaxie500XL

My '95 Cutlass Supreme convertible has the factory Delco stereo with cassette, 6-speaker option, and SWRC. My car also has the automatic climate control system. I was in the junkyard today, and saw a '95 Aurora with the cassette/CD stereo. The SWRC controls look just like the ones in my Cutlass. Is this a plug-and-play swap?

Additionally, I read on this board that the Theftlock is engaged on all the Auroras....is this correct, and if so, how do I overcome this?

Thanks;

Daniel in Knoxville

Taylor has done this.... he used an aurora wheel in a 95 CS, iirc.

what are the differences between the two? they look identical

Emblem is slightly different as the Aurora is similar to the newer Olds Rocket only with an "A"...

Did the Aurora have both cassette and CD loading in the face?

Cutlass and Aurora do interchange.

Going back, I was a little baffled myself. I read it as Jeremy asking about the differences between the Cutlass and Aurora wheel.

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

IT'S KEN'S FAULT!

Going back, I was a little baffled myself. I read it as Jeremy asking about the differences between the Cutlass and Aurora wheel.

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

IT'S KEN'S FAULT!

LMAO!!!!!

the radios are the same radios.

the airbags are the same except the emblem has been updated.... even the SWRC are the same IIRC...

Been rather busy the past few days...they do interchange quite nicely.

Found it in a local junkyard for $20.46, including the tax!

Unfortunately, it appears to be unreliable. It works flawlessly at times, then begins spitting out the CD and giving "E20", "E21", or "E23" errors. Tried both the old-fashioned CD lens cleaner disc, and manual cleaning with alcohol, no change. :(

It appears that the CD mechanism is pretty much toast. A shame, because cosmetically, the only thing wrong with it is the backlight for the far left side needs replacing. This is the first one of these I found in even close to decent condition...anyone got one that would be suitable as a donor for parts?

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Daniel in Knoxville

Taylor has done this.... he used an aurora wheel in a 95 CS, iirc.

what are the differences between the two? they look identical

Emblem is slightly different as the Aurora is similar to the newer Olds Rocket only with an "A"...

Did the Aurora have both cassette and CD loading in the face?

Cutlass and Aurora do interchange.

The cassette stereo I took out has the "T", but I'm thinking this one was shaped differently back there. I'll admit, I didn't look too closely at the time...

I was afraid I'd find out they are unreliable...thanks for the info.

does the reverse side have an aluminum T as a heat sink? there are two versions of that radio.

FYI I have 6 or them, and only one works.

That's very useful information...thanks!

What cars/years are compatible with my '95 and swrc? I've got several junkyards out here...just need to know which cars to check.

Thanks!

Daniel in Knoxville

there are ones with and without a "T" the ones without are newer = more reliable.

• 3 months later...

Update:

After finding two junkyard units that had bad CD players, I finally just replaced the stereo with a NOS Oldsmobile CD/Cassette player that looked just like the bad ones I'd been seeing in the Auroras. Since the car is a convertible, and I wanted to retain the SWRC controls, the factory unit was the best bet. I'd rather not have some idiot slicing the top on the car just to steal the radio...

$179.00 was a little more than I wanted to pay for a factory radio, but I figured since it's NOS, maybe it would last a while. Besides, it's not scratched anywhere, and all the faceplate lights work...something I never found in the junkyard stereos..

Thanks to everyone who helped!