What cars does the 4T65-HD tranny come in?

AWeb80

Anyone know, I was wondering cause i've been doing alot of thinking in my head for when I get around to the L67 swap. I'm gonna want to have that 4T65-HD cause I'd like to get around 380-400 HP out of the L67. I would like to do a total rebuild. 8)

not to steal the topic...but what tranny was in my car? and is it a bad one?

(3.4 engine)

4T60E HD if it was a 3.4 DOHC motor. They're not the strongest of the transmissions. The non-E version seems to be more reliable for some reason :? At least in my opinion.

The 97-98 Regals and GPs did have this trans, maybe even the 96 Regal too. For the last couple years almost all GM v6's get the 4t65-e. Only the cheapest cars don't such as the Malibu. Granted some GM v6's get a 5-speed auto also. You can go to GMPOWERTRAINS.COM and go to the trans. section I believe for the current cars with their trans's's's. If thats not where I saw it, do a search on Google for "4t65".

not to steal the topic...but what tranny was in my car? and is it a bad one?

(3.4 engine)

4T60E HD if it was a 3.4 DOHC motor. They're not the strongest of the transmissions. The non-E version seems to be more reliable for some reason :? At least in my opinion.

i thought the 3.4 got the 4T60E. the 4T60E-HD was on the Cadi 4.9

Auto Monte's with the 3.4 DOHC run with the 4T60-E

They used the 4T65-E in the last one (maybe one-and-a-half) years of the Monte's life when the transition was made to the Series II 3800. The Monte never came with the HD version...that was primarily used in all of the cars with the Series II 3800 Supercharged engine.

The 4T60-E is reliable with an every day use car. It cannot handle too much repeated extra stress for any length of time. Overall, it's a transmission that operates normally if not beaten on every day.

Exactly what is the GM designation for this so-called 4T60-E HD?

I'm only asking because that's only transmission I've found mated to both, the 3.1 and 3.4 - the only other before it was the 4T60 - being the vacuum shift controlled transmission while the E simply stands for electronic shift control (still vacuum assisted though).

Dunno the designation for the HD, but I know the 3.4 got it.

The 4T80-E is stronger than the 4T65-E HD and it should bolt up to the L67.

Sure will but it won't fit into a w-body. Well, to be fair, if you take the brake booster and master cylinder out it *might* fit.

Some of the 97 Monte Carlo Z34's with the LQ1 also got the 4T65E. My 4T60E has lasted 133k miles to this point. The only problem with it is slipping clutch packs. I've put 70k miles on this car and they've been about half HARD city driving and half interstate and backroads driving. At 75k miles, I put on an intake and exhaust. Those two mods alone were worth about 25-30 hp at redline vs a stock 3.4 (based on my dyno vs other LQ1 dynos). They didn't add much below 5000 rpm though. My turbo has been on for over 10k miles now and the only casualty so far has been the clutch packs which have been wearing out ever since the exhaust went on. I think the 4T60e itself is much stronger than most give it credit for.

Tim

That very well may be that the 4T60-E deserves more credit...but I listen VERY carefully to how my second transmission is operating. This is because my first gave up at around 64,000 kms (normal highway driving, no racing or deliberate abuse). I guess I just got a crappy tranny - but that's still rediculous.

After checking things out, the 4T60-E is a stand alone. Anyone looking for an HD version (in case they think of it being available in case they are searching for a 'heavy duty' version) won't find it as any kind of a stock production transmission. Just thought I should point that out.