Want Sirius and Ipod with factory radio.

jman093

FM Radio is bad everywhere, but is particularly horrible here in Wichita, especially if you listen to rock music. I bought an aftermarket HU for the Aerocoupe and have an Aux input for the Ipod and plug-n-play Sirius controlled with the HU in it. I'd like to stick with the factory HU in the GTP (for aesthetics and the SWC), yet get an Aux input and Sirius working in it.

After having the HU controlled Sirius in the Monte I'd actually prefer using a separate dock in the GTP because the HU control like in the Aerocoupe only gives the station name and doesn't give artist info, sports scores, etc like a separate dock will. I searched around in other threads but am still not sure what I need. I don't want the FM adapter crap. I've tried it already for my ipod and it doesn't work well.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm trying to understand what you're wanting to do.

You are trying to figure a way to hardwire a Sirius player (like a sportster 4 or similar) to your existing HU in the GTP (which is currently the stock HU), right? That way you can play it through your radio and speakers but not using a FM transmitter? Does your HU have a cassette player? and also, you want to then be able to play your ipod through your existing HU also? Which Sirius player are you using?

You are trying to figure a way to hardwire a Sirius player (like a sportster 4 or similar) to your existing HU in the Monte, right? That why you can play it through your radio and speaker but not using a FM transmitter? Does your HU have a cassette player? and also, you want to then be able to play your ipod through your existing HU also? Which Sirius player are you using?

He's already got an aftermarket in the Monte, he wants to keep the GTP stock but add sat. radio to it.

You are trying to figure a way to hardwire a Sirius player (like a sportster 4 or similar) to your existing HU in the Monte, right? That why you can play it through your radio and speaker but not using a FM transmitter? Does your HU have a cassette player? and also, you want to then be able to play your ipod through your existing HU also? Which Sirius player are you using?

He's already got an aftermarket in the Monte, he wants to keep the GTP stock but add sat. radio to it.

I understood that part. I'm waiting for his response.

I understood that part. I'm waiting for his response.

I don't think you did.. :lol:

I bought an aftermarket HU for the Aerocoupe and have an Aux input for the Ipod and plug-n-play Sirius controlled with the HU in it. I'd like to stick with the factory HU in the GTP (for aesthetics and the SWC), yet get an Aux input and Sirius working in it.

You are trying to figure a way to hardwire a Sirius player (like a sportster 4 or similar) to your existing HU in the Monte (which is currently the stock HU), right?

Sorry, I tried to make that as clear as possible. But yes, want to keep the system stock but add the aux input and the Sirius unit (which also maybe can connect to the aux?). I don't know exactly what dock and play Sirius unit I'll get but, but it would be something like this:

1302153044_Sirius%20Sportster%205_325x325.jpg

The HU is CD only in the GTP. I do have one of those cassette adapters, used the hell out of it when I had my old Lumina!

Sweet! One question though, what kind of plug is that on the end of the "FM Relay?" Is that just a normal audio in plug (it looks like it is) that you can hook up to an mp3 player or is that something specific to the Sirius Plug n Play unit?

Looks like you can plug anything into it. Use the male connector and plug it into your Sirius radio, Ipod, mp3 player and anything else that requires a headphone mini jack for headphones really. It's a good looking product too.

You can also do something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142FMMOD02/Scosche-FM-MOD02.html?tp=1701

It's powered, so it is much stronger, and a bit cleaner sounding. Probably not as clean sounding as a tape deck, but better than wireless. It will be quieter, so you will find yourself turning up the volume knob a bit.

There are cheaper versions than this, but this was the quickest I could come up with.

I have been looking at a similar setup for mp3 .. the sirius direct widget seems to be just for

the sirius radio. the input is for an FM.. not mp3 input.

pyle has a similar widget that accepts the mp3 input.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done this yet? If this works and is possibly capable of reading from my mp3 player, I'd rather this than a aftermarket head unit... I've never done any wiring, so sorry for the dumb question, but where does the reverse adapter connnect to? Would I need to connect it anywhere near the rear window where the car antenna is?

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed one of the antenna relays for my Sirius radio. It will not work like an Aux input. The Sirius radio needs to be tuned to the same FM station as your head unit. Unless your iPOD or what ever has an FM signal output, this relay isn't going to work.

I installed it a couple months ago shortly after Slick suggested it. I use it all the time with my Ipod. Just plug the aux plug into the headphone slot and set the radio to 87.9Mhz. I did not end up getting Sirius, though. They wanted to charge an extra 8 or 9 bucks a month on top of what I already pay to have it in the SS. It use to be less; they've definitely raised their prices though the govt told them not to do so in exchange for approving the Sirius-XM merger. So I said screw it. I'll probably end up dropping it altogether after my current subscription is up.

I did not buy the exact stuff Slick showed on Amazon, but similar stuff from Best Buy. I bought a Relay adapter that had RCA's and then bought a cable to adapter from RCA's to the aux plug. Works great with an Ipod and could also be used with a Sirius Dock N Play unit.