94 olds vert neverending project thread

94 olds vert

Thank you! Not sure why I was getting crap about storing it for the winter. Any longer than winter it will probably still be getting worked on, so not really being stored for the summer.

I saw the pics you posted a few months ago with all the snow around your car and I about had a heart attack!

Yeah...It sat at outside last winter a couple of times. I only drove it once cause I needed too, Not that big of a deal. I had the underside sprayed with oil last year. So that helps a lot.

That won't be repeated this winter. Thats for sure. If I need to move it will get put on the trailer and towed around.

Edited by 94 olds vert

• 1 month later...

This got stored. I'm happy it's out of my garage for the winter. Now I can park the GT in there.

57f1e827.jpg

65139e2f.jpg

It's now a monster truck!

f718fd93.jpg

c263a07b.jpg

I went over the car with some quick detailer and took out the battery and then put my car cover on it. I changed the oil in it too. That's why I threw down all the cardboard. To prevent any stains from a spill.

3c3aac8c.jpg

I'm going to miss it, but after seeing how rust free this car is I know I'm making the right choice.

I have an elderly neighbor who I've known for 20 years since I was a kid. I told her I'd do her snow removal for free if I can store my car in her garage.

She said it was the first time a car was parked in there in 25 years. The last car in there was her husbands mustang.

even better... I store mine at my grandma's house in her big polebarn where she stores a boat, a old volkswagen thing and her 1983 porsche 911. She has a handfull in there but i'm thankful to be able to store my car in there too.

even better... I store mine at my grandma's house in her big polebarn where she stores a boat, a old volkswagen thing and her 1983 porsche 911. She has a handfull in there but i'm thankful to be able to store my car in there too.

That's cool. My grandparents wanted me to store my car in there shed/barn, but my grandpa loves to store things on top of cars. It would most likely get buried and I'd probably never go back to dig it out.

He owns several apartment buildings and when people move out or get evicted they always leave stuff behind and he takes it and stores it in his garage shed or barn.

At least my neighbor never uses her garage.

Oh I would be pissed to have anything stored on top of my cutlass even with its car cover on top. Thats sweet, he probably finds some really cool stuff. But also I guess he could find alot of junk as well lol.

Occasionally he gets some good stuff. This weekend I brought home grill for my dad from the apartments. I'm going to put a new burner in it for him and give it to him for Christmas.

He has owned those apartments since the late 50s so that's about 50 years of him bringing home stuff.

I never understand why people put a car up on jackstands to store it? A car is built with the intention of it being on the ground all the time, storing it like this isn't going to do anything other than make 20 more minutes of work for you :thinking:

Either way, glad the cutty is in the garage :thumbsup:

I guess it can't hurt it to be up on jackstands, but one reason was to help prevent against flat spotting on my tires and my neighbor said he garage likes to flood a bit when it rains a lot. Just thought I'd be safe.

Now I don't have to drag my jack over there every time I want to do some work on the car. Like getting my new sway bar bushings in.

I'm glad it's put away for the winter. I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I don't want a repeat of this from 2 winter ago.

cp1_0127011527.jpg

I never understand why people put a car up on jackstands to store it? A car is built with the intention of it being on the ground all the time, storing it like this isn't going to do anything other than make 20 more minutes of work for you :thinking:

Either way, glad the cutty is in the garage :thumbsup:

I don't get it myself. These aren't bias-ply tires anymore. I just store mine on all 4 and drive it out in the spring. Too much of a PITA to mess with jackstands IMHO.

I've let cars sit multiple times and never had an issue :dunno: the undercar access makes sense if you have stuff you're going to do, but aside from that there's no point. It seems to me that it could, in fact, do more damage to your suspension parts this way. Kind of like hyperextending a joint in your body, it's meant to move from one point to another, and in this case it's being stored to one extreme.

I miss my cutlass :lol:

No, with today's tires you aren't going to have any issues with flat spotting. If you do, it'll be so minor that after a little driving it'll wear itself out. Personally, I'd rather have all of the weight on the suspension.

That's what I'd figured. I plan to tear into later this week and remove the front control arms. The back needs some new rotors. Having it lifted it will be to my advantage.

I'd like to drop the tank and replace the fuel sender too.

I've let cars sit multiple times and never had an issue :dunno: the undercar access makes sense if you have stuff you're going to do, but aside from that there's no point. It seems to me that it could, in fact, do more damage to your suspension parts this way. Kind of like hyperextending a joint in your body, it's meant to move from one point to another, and in this case it's being stored to one extreme.

I miss my cutlass :lol:

Just my .02 the Z34 has been stored YEARS and YEARS since new, and never have the tires flatspotted. The REASON they flatspot is air lost during the storage, so as long as they always have air in them, they'll be just fine. Especially if the vehicle will only be stored for the winter, as my Z34 was stored once for 4 years in a row....

No, with today's tires you aren't going to have any issues with flat spotting. If you do, it'll be so minor that after a little driving it'll wear itself out. Personally, I'd rather have all of the weight on the suspension.

I gotta call BS on that. 3 months and you'll have flat spots. I don't care how much air they have in them. And they won't "even out" after driving.

Seen way too many tires that have sat in the same spot over approx 3 months and they wobble like shit. I'll estimate I've seen well over 100 tires flat spotted, all "todays" radials.

I've been storing vehicles over winter for years, and I always put them on stands or, if nothing else, on previously flat spotted junk tires.

Is this the transmission mount that has fluid in it for added smoothness?

I think that would be one of the lower motor mounts that is fluid filled. I don't think the trans mount I put in had fluid in it.

I gotta call BS on that. 3 months and you'll have flat spots. I don't care how much air they have in them. And they won't "even out" after driving.

Seen way too many tires that have sat in the same spot over approx 3 months and they wobble like shit. I'll estimate I've seen well over 100 tires flat spotted, all "todays" radials.

I've been storing vehicles over winter for years, and I always put them on stands or, if nothing else, on previously flat spotted junk tires.

Whatever then... I store 3 different cars and have for a few years now. I've NEVER had a single tire flat spot... Maybe you buy shitty tires or something...

Besides, what would I gain from lying? :lol:

Edited by urbex