94 olds vert neverending project thread

94 olds vert

Yeah, I have driven a century and I don't not want. I love getting the convertible out every chance I get. Just not in the winter. The place I would get it oil sprayed before winter is now closed. Not that I've driven in it in the winter. Just thought it's a good idea to get it oil sprayed to prevent rust anyway.

The previous owner of my car oil sprayed it and I despise it. You get filthy all the time when you work on the car. Besides how much rust will it really accumulate if you don't drive in freezing/thawing conditions, especially when it is not exposed to salt? I know my car unfortunately sat fully exposed, unmoving to the elements for 18 months and it picked up no discernible extra rust at all. What is on the car is miniscule at this point and there when I got it 6 years ago. The previous owner did drive it in winter at times.

Yeah it does get the underside dirty.

Just picked it up. Gas guage seems good. Dis still shows incorrect % when I do 8192. Maybe I'll check the wiring where it's spliced in.

He showed me the old o ring and yeah it needed to be replaced. He also doubled it up with another type of gasket. I think he said cork.

Glad I don't have to deal with a leaking W.

Edited by 94 olds vert

Besides how much rust will it really accumulate if you don't drive in freezing/thawing conditions, especially when it is not exposed to salt?

Huh? Oil is not going to make it rust...

Huh? Oil is not going to make it rust...

Of course oil won't. I am talking about if you don't oil it. I hate the stuff, never use it and have a 98 Regal with virtually no rust on it I have had since new and 210,000km (123,000 miles) on it, and horrible amounts of salt used around here. I always take it through a car wash a few times in the winter and get the under car wash option to get as much of the salt off as possible.

Looking back on the post it is easy to see how you could have misunderstood my meaning, but since I have misunderstood stuff before and know I will do it again, how could I possible get upset about it? :)

• 1 month later...

These will be the last pictures out on the road with the Cutlass. I know I shouldn't be upset, but I was pretty sad today driving this car around. Put just over 60 miles on her today. All with a big smile on my face and a tear in my eye. Anyway some last pictures. Not sure I'll be driving it in 2012. It's getting stored at my dads shop at the end of the month. That will be it's final resting spot for a long long time. I sure had fun with it this year. All 700 miles worth of it. I don't think it's practical for me to drive this car that many miles every year. So I'll have the Grand prix to drive. Which should help a little.

a81b41f3.jpg

d8cd0d4d.jpg

ebe15bec.jpg

4b297342.jpg

e8c28217.jpg

eb9c4c38.jpg

e9088c32.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

Thanks. I detailed the hell out of it about 3 weeks ago when I first put it into storage.

Yup. I cannot get rid of this car. So my next option is store it for a while. Not sure if I'll be able to get it out summer 2012, but it would be nice if I could.

Storing it for the witner and if everything goes good by spring I'll take it back out. If not I'll leave it stored as is and enjoy the summer in the GP. It's not the end of the world if I put it away for a year or two.

During that time I have some plans for it. It's not going to sitting alone. Get wheels painted and pull the engine. Lot's of other good things. If it's not ready by spring so be it.

If the engine is still in it you'll drive it next Spring. I don't see you having that nice vert knowing you can drive it and not doing so. After a long cold Winter, the first top down day will have you drooling for it! :dance:

LOL yeah. I'm probably going to even take it out today. I do want to do some things to this car this winter. Not sure what I'll be able to get done, but hopefully a couple of things. It will be inside a heated shop all winter. That will make it great to work on.

Yesterday I put on 60 miles on this car. That's more then it's driven in a month or two.

why wouldn't you drive it? :thinking: I guess I don't get what you're saying. Pull it out a few days a week in the nice weather :dunno: I understand wanting to keep cars nice, but they're cars, they're meant to be driven

Well, I want to drive it. Has to get put away for the winter. I'm not driving it in the snow. I'm just saying I hope everything I want to do with it over the winter will be done by spring so I can drive it.

Letting a car sit is the WORST thing you can do. Granted I shouldn't talk, but my cars really don't sit more than 6 months. Storage won't hurt them, but after a while of sitting (years) that really takes a toll on a car. Things start to get old and wear out from not being used. A car is meant to be driven.

You'll be doing the car more harm than good by not driving it.

And I'm not trying to pick on you or make you mad, but you have to remember it may be a nice car, but it's no rare collectors car that'll be worth a few hundred thousand someday. In the end, it's just a nice car that should be enjoyed.

I agree and I want to get done what I want to get done and drive it. Weather it takes all winter or all of next summer, I hope to still get it out next year. Depending on what gets done will determine how much it's driven. Hopefully a lot more than the past years I've owned. Maybe by next summer it will up for some road trips.

I know this car won't be worth anything. I'm okay with that. I just don't want to let it turn into a POS. It is something I enjoy driving.

I really like the two tone interior Nate.

Thanks! I really like it too. For me it makes the car just pop. It has a great affect with the outside of the car. I've gotten compliments on it from other people at car shows. I'm glad I did that.