94 olds vert neverending project thread

94 olds vert

Like losing .5 MPG at a stop/idle?? :lol:

see, but that's entirely possible, since you are using fuel, yet not moving.

how the DIS works: it sends a command to the PCM in specific interval periods, and the PCM sends back information, and two items are used for fuel economy calcs, the rest are used for other operations, like guages and oil life, but the two fuel economy related values are: injector flowrate in gallons per hour, and a running total of the amount of fuel injected since startup in mSec. now, using the magic of maths, it combines those values with the signal it gets from the 4K PPM VSS circuit(which will tell it vehicle speed), and it will come up with a reasonably accurate MPG value.

now, when sitting still, the injectors are still flowing fuel, yet no vehicle movement, so you do lose fuel economy, both IRL and by math.

BTW, this only applies to the DIS/DIC used in the W-bodies and whatever else uses the same module, others use different methods to calculate fuel economy, including the PCM calculating the distance traveled, not the DIS.

I was doing my random searching and found this post from Shawn.

I don't remember on the 89, but on the 94 whose injector flow constant I programmed myself, the AVG MPG is accurate to within 1%. :)

No, but I wish I did. I used the info from the FAQ and that really helped me do this. Plus I watched some videos on YouTube. I was able to do this on the cheap and only took me 2 hours to do this.

So this is what I don't get. I have the DIS hooked up to the wire in the cluster for the gas gauge, yet the DIS has a different number % displayed for fuel left in the tank.

[video=youtube;NOfJQofpgOQ]

mine is giving me funky data as well.... today it was giving my wonky instant MPGs.... :mad: first time I noticed it to be inaccurate. (I also have a 95 DIC to compare against)

i also need to know how to get the obscure data from the DICs as you just did, program version number and all that jazz....

Cutlass DIS with DEST RESET 8192

Here is a breakdown of what the numbers/letters mean when you enter in "8192" This is from W-body.com

E = English Mode

H0 = Engine Code (B6 = 3.1L, H0 = 2.8L... weird because LB6 is 2.8L and LH0 is 3.1L, but whatever).

L = Park lamps Off

00 = Dimming Input (percent)

00 = Fuel level (percent)

4 = 4004 pulses per mile

L = VSS signal input Low

I seriously want one of these instead of the GP DIC :lol: I should mount one in the stock stereo location, and put a touchscreen in the old DIC location!

The GP might have a bigger dic but the cutlass dic is bettar. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...