Too much damn sticky COCA COLA in my console - 92 Buick Regal

2buickbob

Hi folks:

Over the years, many soft drinks have splashed or oozed into the sliding parts of the console shifter...most of the time it works ok, at other times it gets a little ornery.

When I clean my console thoroughly the next time, I also want to clean the overlapping plastic leafs near the shift lever so I can put it into gear more smoothly.

What is the best way to clean the console area and the shifter itself from the stickiness of 17 years of soft drinks?

I would remove the console top and let it soak in the sink with soap. I've taken the whole piece apart to clean it, it's not that bad.

I would remove the console top and let it soak in the sink with soap. I've taken the whole piece apart to clean it, it's not that bad.

x2. This is the best way.

I just did my Grand Prix.

Step-by-step would be:

1.) Remove horseshoe pin from the front of the shifter knob, and pull the knob off.

2.) Shift car into 1st (pull lever all of the way back), might help to have the parking brake on so that you can concentrate.

3.) You should be able to pull the entire top half off of the console, and there will be a few wires connected, clipped on or the light bulb for the gear indicator is a twist in and out. Take that chunk inside with you and you can seperate it into individual pcs there (probably six screws).

4.) Wash, and then reconnect everything.

Well, I'll try right after Labor Day weekend when I'm getting out of town.

How long should this take. It has taken me a while longer to do the fixes people do on here.

Well, I'll try right after Labor Day weekend when I'm getting out of town.

How long should this take. It has taken me a while longer to do the fixes people do on here.

this is prolly a half hour process from start to finish.