dying seats

jake91

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would mention this to you. You can paint a leather or vinyl seat with special paint to the white you want- even if it is a dark seat. We bought a new set of seat covers for my 71 Cutlass- they were dark green and I wanted the pearl white interior... If you go to your local car paint/autobody store, they should have cans of SEM interior paint in aerosal cans- they have them to match GM coloring for interiors. With a few coats of paint, the seats turn out fine, even when you have dark colors (in my experience). The paint also will not wear or flake at all- as long as you clean the seat very well before applying the paint, and if you want, they also sell a special spray to go over the paint to protect it.

I also just tried doing this to a set of leather Intrigue seats I had that I was trying to replicate to the 2-tone Final 500 seats. They had a variety of GM colors available, and the paint ended up matching perfectly! It even looks like the seat came that way from the factory- no artificial look.

Here's some pics of what I used and how the seat came out. Now that the paint's dry, you'll deffinitely want to buy that clear coat spray as well- the leather that got painted doesn't feel as soft or smooth without it.

DSC02384-1.jpg

DSC02385-1.jpg

these are my seat they are beyond any sort of repair i can do

Picture002-1.jpg

Does anyone know why their seats wear there like that I've seen it all over W-body leathers.

Personally I've trashed a leather driver's seat, but did not put any wear whatsoever on that portion.

im going to say it is because when you sit down or get out of the car it puts pressure there

I'm going to say that you're doing it all wrong. I've got a decent sized caboose and I've never found a reason to slip in that way.

i have rebuilt seats.

I will add a sheet of plastic or carpet between the foam and the springs, and if the seat foam is torn i will replace it or glue it together. since the foam and upholstery is the same left and right with buckets.

I sometimes completely swap seat upholstery between the seat which really freshens up the seat's appearance by placing the worn areas out of immediate view by the center console, and the unworn areas to the outside...