Wipers freeze up

supreme_style21

Had to race home yesterday in a thunderstorm and had the wipers on full blast. About 10 minutes into the drive, the wipers froze in the 'up' position. They stuck there and I figured I was gonna hit something cause I couldn't see shit. After about a minute or two, they shut off and then started operating again.

I've seen too many w cars with the wipers stuck up, so I figure I'm right behind them. What's going wrong with them so I can fix it before it's a bigger problem?

Hang on...Did you shut them off and they parked in the up position, or did you have the switch on and then they just quit? If nothing was happening, then it probably isn't the parking issue that is common. IIRC, there is some type of thermal protection for the motor. I wonder if it just overheated and shut off until it cooled down.

Hang on...Did you shut them off and they parked in the up position, or did you have the switch on and then they just quit? If nothing was happening, then it probably isn't the parking issue that is common. IIRC, there is some type of thermal protection for the motor. I wonder if it just overheated and shut off until it cooled down.

That could very well be. It was raining hard and I was probably pushing 80 mph and they just stuck up. I shut them off, nothing. Flipped the switch a few times and nothing, just stuck up. I then shut them off. After a minute or so, they went down and parked, so I turned them back on and they worked fine the rest of the way. I didn't dare turn them up faster because I figured they'd freeze up again. I originally had them on the level just below full blast for about 10 miles before they froze up, so it sounds like it could be what you are saying. So in that instance, 10 minutes of usage shouldn't cause them to overheat?

Yes, it could be the motor, but this is actually really common on the gen II w-bodies. Here's a common possible cause to look into:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?s=803a6da3468f6eaa956027d1eedd8023&p=5027920&postcount=7

Also, thanks for that link .. I bookmarked it. I see too many of these w cars with the wipers stuck up!

That could very well be. It was raining hard and I was probably pushing 80 mph and they just stuck up. I shut them off, nothing. Flipped the switch a few times and nothing, just stuck up. I then shut them off. After a minute or so, they went down and parked, so I turned them back on and they worked fine the rest of the way. I didn't dare turn them up faster because I figured they'd freeze up again. I originally had them on the level just below full blast for about 10 miles before they froze up, so it sounds like it could be what you are saying. So in that instance, 10 minutes of usage shouldn't cause them to overheat?

You should be able to drive all day with them on and not have an issue. If you couldn't that would be a safety issue defiantely.

My Dad's 1996 Suburban had a problem like this I remember now. The switch for the wipers was repalced (I think it was the switch - maybe the motor was though??) under a safety recall due to cracked solder joints or something. Basically the wipers would work fine, then quit (in the parked position), then randomly start to work. No idea if this is carried over the GM cars or not. Probably not but who knows. If the motor is working super hard to make the wipers move maybe the linkages and the mechanism needs lubing or something is bent.