• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• SrMichi

• AWeb80

• CSI_MuNkY

wait...your bar is hollow...

IIRC, 34's are hollow and 30's are solid......am I wrong?

Nope, you are correct.

34mm bars are hollow, at least mine is :lol:

Jamie

i do have a 34mm on and it is hollow... where can i get a solid one? :eek: or could i just get some poly bushings and I'll be good?

From a geometrical point of view, hollow is better.

Try bending a steel bar and a steel tube of the same diameter, the tube will have more strength.

Jamie

question, Would it at all be worth it to attempt building a bushing set by ones' self? I have the ideals behind the dog bone engine thrust mount rubber replacement down to a science, is there any reason the application wouldn't be practical for bushings in the control arm/sway bar ect?

please excuse the forum this links to, I chose it because it has all the basic info a person would need to know about strength and flex.

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f94/diy-homemade-polyurethane-engine-mounts-204274/

question, Would it at all be worth it to attempt building a bushing set by ones' self? I have the ideals behind the dog bone engine thrust mount rubber replacement down to a science, is there any reason the application wouldn't be practical for bushings in the control arm/sway bar ect?

please excuse the forum this links to, I chose it because it has all the basic info a person would need to know about strength and flex.

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f94/diy-homemade-polyurethane-engine-mounts-204274/

When you can pick up all 4 Energy Suspension bushings for the front of our cars for $40 at any local chain auto store (and at the same price for the rear), is it really worth the trouble and effort to make them yourself?

Without some good machinery and the proper hardware, it would be a bit difficult to build these poly control arm bushings, but you're welcome to try. I highly doubt you'd be able to make them worth your while for under $50.

If your going to be a pioneer and make poly bushings of any sort make sub frame bushings, and send me a set!

Jamie

Well, Tbh I'm looking at buying a part car, 300 bucks, frames broken, but all the parts I need or would want are good, so once I have everything swapped out, I can take all my old parts with bushings and such and see how much it costs me after I try that all. money is the big issue, and I can get window weld in different shores localy, so It saves shipping costs, and like I said, I'll have double of pretty much everything to work with, we'll see, and hey if it all works out for pretty cheap, and is good of course, maybe i'll send you my set and you can send me your old ones for me to re-do, and cost of materials or something and you can let me know if you find them any better than stock :-P? it's a possibility anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got the tires to break loose. Took an off ramp with a 25mph sign at 65mph off the highway. I could hear the tires squeal on all 4 wheels for the first time in a long time, and the back end started sliding for a second.

do you just go down to autozone and ask for energy front sway bar bushings for gm?

I just got my control arm bushings in the mail. The subframe is down right now so now its time to put in the poly stuff before I go align the car again.

do I need to know which sway bar it is? It looks like a pretty fat one.

Autozone and other similar stores will have energy suspension poly sway bar bushings by size. measure the diameter of your bar, and get bushings to match.

Do you have a rear sway bar?

yea, tgp rear bar is pretty small.

Ah, yes, sorry about that. I was replying from my phone and I can't see your avatar from there. They might have a poly bushing, though IIRC the smallest one I saw there was 1/2". You'll have to measure it and check.

The brackets are slotted so they'll fit on the front no matter what. However, the reason why I asked if you have a sway bar on the rear is because you'll have to enlarge (drill/dremel out) the bracket from the ES bushing to fit over the strut bolts. Check and see if they have your size at the local store first. If not, and you really really want poly bushings on the rear (which do make a big difference), you'll have to check with Energy Suspension to see if they make a sway bar bushing in your size.