Re: The Official Poly Control Arm Bushing Writeup

SrMichi

i''ve use a rental press that Autozone has for stuff like this. the press is intended for balljoints, but an be misappropriated quite easily.

You mean the ball joint press OEM27023?

i think yes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• SrMichi

• AWeb80

• CSI_MuNkY

i got good news :smile: i got my ball joints today. and i went to napa and they could not help me out so i went to this shop that i use to go when i got a flat. i asked and the owner told me that he could do it for 20 dollars pre bushing. the only bad thing is that he (the owner) is not sure if he will be in on sat he said that he is not sure because they only got 3 car coming in for repairs on sat and he wont show up unless they have 5 or more. so i told me i could bring the arms during the week before 6pm and he will do them. so now I'm going to take half a day off from work on Friday and just take my time in removing everything after work and if everything goes smoothly i could drive it Friday night :biggrin:.

I could reuse my old bolt right?

i got good news :smile: i got my ball joints today. and i went to napa and they could not help me out so i went to this shop that i use to go when i got a flat. i asked and the owner told me that he could do it for 20 dollars pre bushing. the only bad thing is that he (the owner) is not sure if he will be in on sat he said that he is not sure because they only got 3 car coming in for repairs on sat and he wont show up unless they have 5 or more. so i told me i could bring the arms during the week before 6pm and he will do them. so now I'm going to take half a day off from work on Friday and just take my time in removing everything after work and if everything goes smoothly i could drive it Friday night :biggrin:.

I could reuse my old bolt right?

What old bolt? For the ball joint?

I used my old ones with no problems

yeah that's what i thought i think I'm going to be lucky like you since the trailing arms bolts came of with out and resistance.

i cant wait to get started :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

now all i have to get is mapp gas and im set.

i went in search to see if i could buy 1/2 bolt and i only found grade 8 1/2-13 zinc plated bolt would that be suitable. if so i would have to get two washers and a nut for each bolt right?

I used grade 8, and they're holding up. not much else I can say about that. I didn't have time to special order grade 10.9. with washers and a nut you should be alright.

do remember you'll need to drill out the mounts on the subframe to use these, as they're .7mm thicker than the stock bolts. its really up to you.

its pretty difficult to screw it up. just get a half inch drill bit and drill it through. its really quite easy. the only catch is that once you have them at half inch, you can't go back. then again, these bushings are going to last the life of your car.

okay then i will stop by Lowe's after work to get them. I'm still need a torch my uncle cant find his so my dad is going to stop by after work to drop off the torque wrench and hopefully his torch.

a little update. i started to take everything of around 12 and i was at the shop by 2 waiting for them to press on my new bushings. i was so happy so fast everything was turning out even happier that the guy only charged my 20 bucks for doing both bushings. But then while i was waiting for my dad to bring my the torch i decided to go ahead and take out the ball joints :eek: mother fucking ball joints had no bolts. they had been riveted to the housing :evil: so there i was grinding and grinding trying to take them off. after a few hours around 7:30 ish i finally got them off and started to press on the rear bushing to the control arms. after some cutting and grinding i finally install the passenger side arm and called it a day around 8:30. so my uncle let me borrow his car for the night. tomorrow morning ill go back and finish bolting everything back on and press in the other bushing on the other arm.

edit: 20 Ducks = 20 bucks

i was at first but after i found out about the ball joints i was just rushing to get them out and my hands where black and my cell is white and in my pocket so it was kinda hard to get it out. ill take pics tomorrow morning and post them after i finish. now I'm heading off to my girls house I'm in a need of a good lower back rub :wink:

well i finally got it done and this mod was worth all of the work that i put into it. you really do feel the improvements right away. ill post some pics and write more later as im trying to change a rad on a neon :facepalm: but this mod is a must :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Looking good! I need to do this on the TGP.

Damn straight you do.

How much difference on your stock suspension? (when I say stock I am saying that based off what I see, my apologies if it is modified)

Jamie

My text from him:

"I finished at 1 i took it for a spin and i was like wow."

here's a clip i took on my test drive after i finish speed posted for this turn was 20mph i took it almost at 50. sorry in advance for the cell video

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i47.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/apothecary04/MOV00575.flv">