SWRC Differences

grandprixnyc

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the SWRC used in 88-90 GP's and the 90(?) to 93 GP's?

As you know, I converted my original 92 tape deck (OEM SWRC) to the 89 component setup (for the purpose of even more buttons and outdated digital displays). The SWRC does not work with them at all... and I've tried different head units as well. It DID work with the 92 deck. This has been driving me crazy for 5 years, I simply can not figure out what's going on. The only thing that seems to make sense is that the control unit for the SWRC was different in 91-3 and sends out different signals that the 88-90. I recently received )yet another) 89 radio from Ken in hopes that it was just the particular radio, but it's not.

The harness for the SWRC is different from 92 and 89, but I do have the 89 harness spliced in. It sends the backlight power to the SWRC, but still won't get the signal.

Yes, everything showed up today. I kind of wasted time and $$ with the radio as it doesn't do one hell of a difference for me. I'm thinking the data signals are different between 89 and 92.

Some of the buttons were different on the unit between the early and later models. Does your button pad have an on/off button? The early ones didn't. Oddly enough I seem to remember my friend swapping in a later pad into his '89 without issue, so I'll have to ask him.

Yeah, I have the on/off button, and I have heard that the button layout was somewhat different between the years. I've had three different 89 radios in there, non of them have worked.

I am using the ugly actual head unit from the 92 (metal thingy) ... perhaps I need to be using the one from the 89? I don't know what difference it would make, though, because the SWRC plug goes right into the square radio face. I don't have an 89 piece, so could that be the problem?

Yeah, I have the on/off button, and I have heard that the button layout was somewhat different between the years. I've had three different 89 radios in there, non of them have worked.

I am using the ugly actual head unit from the 92 (metal thingy) ... perhaps I need to be using the one from the 89? I don't know what difference it would make, though, because the SWRC plug goes right into the square radio face. I don't have an 89 piece, so could that be the problem?

doubtful. Do you have enough of the parts to put the OEM radio back in and see if the SWRC works with that?

Yeah, I still have all the '92 stuff. The SWRC was working fine before I switched everything over. As soon as I did so, they stopped working.

Yeah, I still have all the '92 stuff. The SWRC was working fine before I switched everything over. As soon as I did so, they stopped working.

sorry, but I suggest trying that.