Best mufflers for 3.1l mpfi

boymeetspavement

I have the 3.1 in my Z24, I replaced my plugged cat with a piece of pipe, and replaced the rotted muffler with a Thrush glasspack. It cost under $100 with new DP and intermediate pipe. It sounded like shit at first, but it's been like that for 2 years and sounds good now. I wouldn't recommend it if you have emissions testing, it's completely illegal. I've never lived in a town with a pop higher than 2500, so I don't have to worry about the cops too much. Mine sounds very raspy, with the 5 speed it sounds great. If you are hammering on it, between gear shifts it kackles nicely. Nothing beats coming down a hill to stoplight at 25 in 2nd to slow you down & hearing it rumble. I did mine this way for one reason and one reason only, I'm a cheap-ass. I just wanted the fumes out back where they belong so I can drive it, sound was an afterthought. Some people don't like it, but most have told me the like it. I had a lady in her 50's- early 60's tell me she loved it and hasn't heard anything that raspy for years :lol:

My cutlass sounded great with rotted mufflers, but that a 3.4.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• MonteCarloChick

• boymeetspavement

• AWeb80

I'll vouch for the rotted stock mufflers... I've got the factory exhaust on my TGP with slightly rotted mufflers and it sounds great. Meltboy has my old 89 SE.. that car had some really rotted mufflers, but she sure did sound mean in the upper RPMs :twisted:

I look forward to hearing some of these exhausts in dayton. i want some, but want to hear some first. my stock with a 2.5 inch dp and no cat sounds pretty good though.

You will get to hear mine... WOT with my FWI sounds pretty nice :mrgreen:

I really want to hear yours with the DP on it.. Im scrabling to find someone to do a 2.5" DP on mine before the event

if by awesome you mean " at idle it sounds like a diesel ", yeah. wide open it didn't sound too horrible, but i've heard much better.

but all of this is pointless since 3.8s sound nothing like the 60* motors...

and 3.1's and 3100's don't sound alike either

considering all the differences between them, i'm sure they don't, but what similarities they do have, i would assume that they sound more alike then what the 3.8 sounds like compared to either.

If by awesome, you mean, "at idle it sounds like a diesel", yeah. Wide open it didn't sound too horrible, but I've heard much better.

But all of this is pointless since 3.8s sound nothing like the 60* motors...

I personally like the gas-guzzling chug of my old 3800. It actually reminded me of a cammed V8 or something (who knows, I may just be pulling bullshit out of my ignorant ass :lol:). Actually, from the outside, the Reatta sounds very harsh and raspy under acceleration. And the idle in the video was actually how it sounds when it's idling really rough (it has a bad MAF sensor that I keep meaning to do something about but I procrastinate on the simplest things...).

But yeah, I knew my post wouldn't help much because while one exhaust setup will yield a particular exhaust note on one engine, that same one will sound COMPLETELY different on another.

IIRC. 3.1's Don't have a resonator where as the 3100's do. that affects the sound right there. i could be wrong though

Correct. The 3.1 MPFI exhaust lacked a resonator. Just a cat and muffler(s).

We put a Flowmaster with dual outlets on a Lumina (3.1) and it sounded awesome...I loved it, i wish i would have taken a video before we gave it back to the customer. It also had a high flow mini cat on it.

this prob. a dumb question but I figured Id ask before I get to the speed shop, the stock piping on these is 2 1/4 right?

Agreed about rusty stockers on the 3.1. When I first got my Euro back in '03, the thing sounded great. Had a nice growl to it. My friends even liked it (and subsequently got mad when I welded on a new, quieter one a few years later) My MC's stock mufflers have slowly been rotting out since I got it, and have the perfect subtle growl to 'em. When it's "cold" it rumbles a bit, and when on the throttle. But at idle, its just as quiet as a any other car. Can hear the fuel pump over it even

I set off endless car alarms with how my exhaust is now :lol: It's fantabulous.

my el camino does that... i guess a 355 with a ridiculous cam, large tube headers, true dual 3" exhaust exiting under the axle can annoy people from 3/4 mile away too.

:lol: yeah my boyfriend says I have the loudness now, but it's just not the same as his 350 V8 rumble. I agree 100%. I still enjoy my V6 rumble though. It's going to suck getting it fixed.

My exhaust has glasspacks of some kind on them and they sound pretty good. Although I really want a set of flowmasters like 1LoudCutty has on his.