Best mufflers for 3.1l mpfi

boymeetspavement

what sounds the best? I loved the sound of the dynomax superturbo on my ciera, whats your suggestion for the gp 3.1l? Its dual exhaust btw.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• MonteCarloChick

• boymeetspavement

• AWeb80

just let it rust out, nothin sounds better than a rotted 3.1 exhaust...lol

This man speaks the truth. Very distinctive too!

just let it rust out, nothin sounds better than a rotted 3.1 exhaust...lol

This man speaks the truth. Very distinctive too!

hell ya, I can hear a 3.1 a mile away with a bad exhaust and know what it is... lol

They sound nice but its messed up how much they charge for one, 100 bucks for a muffler is retarted. lol I think I spent 50 bucks on the dynomax. Flowmasters do sound good though....lol

Blah.. glasspacks sound horrid on these cars.

on a 3.8 or a 3.4DOHC, i'll agree, but i love the noise of the 3100 with a glasspack.

but since boymeetspavement has duals, i don't know how that would sound...

I had a Dynomax superturbo on my 3.1 Lumina, and it was too quiet for my liking. Everybody was shocked when I told them I had aftermarket exhaust.

4 years later when the Dynomax rotted out and developed a 4 inch diameter hole...it sounded awesome :lol:

Dynomax Super turbos are some of the best mufflers on the market. They flow rate all of their mufflers and they most definitely flow better than Flowmasters but everyone buys their muffs for different reasons. I did extensive research on mufflers before I bought the Dynomax Super Turbos for my build. For the money you cannot buy a better flowing muffler. The whole idea in designing your exh. system is to create a horsepower loss free system whether you want it quiet or loud. lol The size of pipe makes a major difference in the sound of an engine also, bigger means louder than a smaller dia. pipe with the same mufflers on it. Oh and by the way, glass pack mufflers are some of the worst flowing mufflers ever. I mentioned earlier everyone chooses their muffler for a different reason and I personally like something quiet when cruising, loud when accelerating, and something that won't rob my engine of HP. :smile: Overkill Engineering Motorsports has nice 2.5" mandrel bent exh. for W-bodies (same as yours or a Z34 Lumina).

Dynomax Super turbos are some of the best mufflers on the market. They flow rate all of their mufflers and they most definitely flow better than Flowmasters but everyone buys their muffs for different reasons. I did extensive research on mufflers before I bought the Dynomax Super Turbos for my build. For the money you cannot buy a better flowing muffler. The whole idea in designing your exh. system is to create a horsepower loss free system whether you want it quiet or loud. lol The size of pipe makes a major difference in the sound of an engine also, bigger means louder than a smaller dia. pipe with the same mufflers on it. Oh and by the way, glass pack mufflers are some of the worst flowing mufflers ever. I mentioned earlier everyone chooses their muffler for a different reason and I personally like something quiet when cruising, loud when accelerating, and something that won't rob my engine of HP. :smile: Overkill Engineering Motorsports has nice 2.5" mandrel bent exh. for W-bodies (same as yours or a Z34 Lumina).

glasspacks flow bad? theres nothing there to impede flow... regular chambered mufflers/turbo mufflers have flow losses, while the factory mufflers don't flow for shit.

^^^ True enough about the factory muffs but most glass packs have a smaller internal pipe than the size of the ends of the muffler and actually flow less than a similar length of open pipe the same size.

^^^ True enough about the factory muffs but most glass packs have a smaller internal pipe than the size of the ends of the muffler and actually flow less than a similar length of open pipe the same size.

luckily, since glasspacks are straight through, its fairly easy to determine if thats the case, also, i can't remember what size ID/OD mine is, but i just slipped it over the factory tubing where i cut off the stocker, and welded. trust me, if there is restriction in the exhaust, it is certainly not from the glasspack. the cat makes more backpressure than the muffler.

I look forward to hearing some of these exhausts in dayton. i want some, but want to hear some first. my stock with a 2.5 inch dp and no cat sounds pretty good though.