Where did you buy your convertible top?

sunny_8

All,

Its come to the point where I must replace my top. Need some help ont he following :

1. Where to buy online ? What to buy (cables, pads etc ? do you need them?)

2. Instructions/directions or tips and do's and don'ts.

Want to order next week..any help appreciated.

Thanks,

S

Had my top done a little over a year ago by a local guy a canvas shop recommended. He used to have his own interior trim shop till he retired. Don't know if he's still doing it, but at the time he was only doing some trim work part time out of his garage just to have something to do besides stare at the TV all day. Anyway, he replaced the top and heated glass for $800. He'd done tops before, but mine was the first W-body Cutlass. Said if he ever did another, it'd be $1200. :willynilly: Unfortunately, I don't know where he got it, but looked and fit good. I have seen them on E-bay, but can't speak for the quality or fit. When you order a top, that's all you get. Anything else you might need, cables, pads, and even the rear glass with the canvas area around it (called the curtain) is seperate, and costs additional. Without seeing the top in person, it would be hard for anyone here to tell what else you might need besides the top. There are a few here that have done the top themselves and can probably walk you thru it. According to them it wasn't that difficult. Basicly sounds like the reverse of removing the old top. I think the main tool needed to make the job easiest, is an air stapler, but isn't necessary. Sorry I can't be more help, but if you're going to do the top yourself, good luck :high5: and maybe you could do a write-up on it.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

hey, I just ordered mine directly from EZon. all of the stuff is for sale at topsonline.com i think. there's a good FAQ here about where to get stuff.

here's something to think about... removing the top and back glass is going to be a HUGE job. my suggestion is to just replace the stupid cables and pads anyway. you won't really have any idea what shape they are in until you tear it apart, so just assume they are terrible and do them. i mean, when you tear apart your engine, you use it as a good excuse to replace a few other things while you're down there, right?

as for a video... i'm attempting to get my hands on one. if i do, and if it's useful to some degree, i'll see what i can do about making it available to others.

as for instructions... i just ordered my top last week (cloth top), so i'll be attempting to do it in the next 2 or 3 weeks. if you can wait a month, i might be able to answer some of your questions. otherwise, i think we'll be installing in parallel. :(

JP

PS TDVS if you got a canvas top INSTALLED for 800 bucks, you're one lucky sonuva! from what i've heard (from the guys at Dura who MADE the top), it's a beast to work with. They told me, "of all the cars we've ever done, that car (cutlass) just never wanted to be a convertible." :lol:

I replaced my top myself last year. It saved me a LOT of money. However I'm not sure I would do it again.

I bought if on ebay for less than $100. I totally agree with the last post!! Assume the pads need to be replaced.

Be very cautious about using instructions from a convertible top sales company, they are very generic. The instructions from the official Service Manual is what you should use. Be sure you have both sizes of stainless steel staples BEFORE you begin. They are not easy to find.

There is a link to the top replacement section of the service manual on here. I used it and threw away the generic version.

If you are installing a white top, you will need to wash your hands constantly.

Good Luck.

Thanks All, I have not yet ordered my top, will try it myself. If you get the video and can post, please let me know.

I will order the tops, cables and pads I think from A1auto...in GM White....

Thanks,