need help just purchased 90 ste turbo

MIKE**J

I just purchased a ste turbo in super nice condition but if course the abs light is on and the pedal is mushy i want to fix it asap so i can start driving it any help please

thanks in advance

Well I dont think this is the right way to fix it but here is what people have told me- If you just take out the fuse that controls the ABS the light will shut off and although you will be driving without it, the brakes will work fine. About 4 or 5 people have told me this and said it worked fine...Let me know what happens.

With the pedal being mushy and the heritage the PMIII master cylinder in W-Bodies, you may be in for a treat.

The master cylinder, ABS pump, or ABS module could be faulty.

But, before ripping your STE apart, I would power bleed the brake system.

Second, double check all connects; everything from the Vehicle Wheel Sensors (on all hubs) to the Master Cylinder itself.

- Erik

Thanks Erik, will do.

What's the worst case? Price wise for parts if that does not fix it.

Well, pulling the fuse doesn't fix the problem, so don't get that impression.

Worse case: (with dealer items) could run you around $1500 for the ABS system alone with installation.

But since that's just a relative guess, don't freak out at this time.

You'll need to sit down, test, read, or have the system scanned with a Tech-1 Scan tool.

That WILL pin-point the exact problem if the technician follow OEM procedures.

- Erik

what about a reman unit?

Junkyards and remanufactored parts will be your best friend!

If your problem turns out to something big, DO look around.

I say: home check, scan it, survey the parts lists and go from there.

- Erik

thanks!

No worries, hopefully that'll get you nn the right track.

Hey redfox- do you have a TGP or STE???

Nope. Used to own a DOHC Cutlass back in the sping of 2003.

- Erik

so how do you know that pulling the fuse wont work??? I just went out to my car and i dont have an abs fuse...and my light never comes on??? and i know it works because when i first start it up and all the lights come on, it does to...

so how do you know that pulling the fuse wont work??? I just went out to my car and i dont have an abs fuse...and my light never comes on??? and i know it works because when i first start it up and all the lights come on, it does to...

You may have disabled the light, but by no means you fixed the ABS.

Pulling that fuse opened that circuit and therefore the system is NOT active.

Try a panic stop, I'm willing to bet you'll leave a patch of rubber to the road.

- Erik

Did you not read what i posted earlier, I have been driving the car for 6 months like this...and even when the roads are soaked i can slam the pedal to the floor and none of the wheels lock up. I stop like everything is perfect!

Did you not read what i posted earlier, I have been driving the car for 6 months like this...and even when the roads are soaked i can slam the pedal to the floor and none of the wheels lock up. I stop like everything is perfect!

Now, wait... you purposly killed the ABS MIL? [curious] Why? [/curious]

Thinking you'll be able to deny the problem it'll just work itself out?

You've replaced nothing else and everything works after pulling a fuse?

Lucky you! :shock: However, sounds like Mike**J is in another boat.

- Erik

Ok I didnt say i fixed everything, when the fuse was in, there was no difference when the abs light was on and when it was off. it would come on and off periodically but there was never a difference in braking performace, so i thought i would see what would happen if i did take the fuse out...you could be right by saying all it does is disable the light but that is all i was looking for....with the fuse in or out, with the abs light on or off...the brakes are still the same, nothing is different, at all.

That last post there, just confused me! A wheel speed sensor??? Maybe i am just dumb and dont understand....

On Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) equiped vehicles, each wheel hub has a wheel speed sensor on it.

Full wheel rotations are converted to electrical signals and they're sent as an electronic pulse to the ABS module.

Comparing all four of the inputs during braking, the ABS module determines what wheel(s) are locking up.

If locking up, the system will react and pulsate the brakes to ensure active tire rotation and traction.

Now, when one or more of the sensors begin to fail, it'll give an intermitten signal.

Sometimes the sensor works, and other times it doesn't.

That's why you'll see the ON and OFF ABS warning light to letting you know theres a discrepancy in the ABS system.

If the sensor is not putting out a signal, the ABS is always activated even though the wheel hasn't reached the lockup point.

Hope this explaination helps out. Makes sense? Feel free to ask if you don't.

- Erik

Guest Anonymous

You're day is coming. If you pull any ABS fuses on a TGP the brakes WILL more than likely go out on you. I know you've been driving 6 months, blah, blah, blah. The PM III isn't like other ABS systems. It needs all fuses to work properly.

what about a reman unit?

Junkyards and remanufactored parts will be your best friend!

If your problem turns out to something big, DO look around.

I say: home check, scan it, survey the parts lists and go from there.

- Erik

I would stay away from junkyard parts unless you can be lucky enough to find one a Pickn Pull yard.

Most JY want too much for the unit that is bound to fail anyway. Prior Reman is the way to go.

Check my site, http://www.turbogpgarage.com for info on the PMIII unit.

I do not recommend pulling the fuse in the glove box. Even though the light may go out, that is circumventing the problem. You might as well close your eyes while driving.

Come to think of it, the abs fuse in the glove box controlls the feed to the power relay, I don't know how it could even work with that fuse pulled.

Chris A does the price of a reman unit from prior include everything i see you mention some other parts on your page,accumulator switch ,motor also do you think it needs a new unit the pedal is hard at first then mushy ithe yellow abs light is on with all 4 corners lighting up and the rear on the computer screen.

thakns

with a mushy pedal have you noticed if you FLuid is Draining??

bleed the system and Run it like that it should be Fine my abs went out this summer and I acctually prefer it like this.. the pedel is Firmer then normal untill I needed new pads then I changed them today and now the pedal is Firm again... and the car acctually stops

with the abs in the winter the d@mn thing never wanted to stop so Im acctally happyer with out the ABS...but check your pads and bleed the system then the car should be Good to go for a Drive...