• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IRONDOG442

• jake91

• ZoomZoomFan

• jman093

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that after a certain point an auto manufacture is no longer responsible for a vehicle; unless it is a defect inherent from the factory or design of the car.

I guess there in lies the question: 3800's leak oil pretty bad from the valve covers but that's the owners fault? Yet intake gaskets that go at about the same time are generally considered the fault of GM? I know there are gray areas here but the logic is slightly flawed.

What gets me is that if the fires are being started by the leak, wouldn't logic dictate that you stop the leak? It's one thing if an oil leak doesn't create a hazard, (such as GM 60V6's valve cover gaskets all eventually leak, but the oil has no place to "pool up" by the exh manifold and create a fire hazard) I wouldn't expect the company to recall that kind of flaw and would say yes, it's the owner who needs to cover that. However, when almost all GM cars in the junkyard which are burnt have 3800's, and many of them with average, or below average mileage (yes I've seen it) the liability should fall on GM. I would imagine (and hope) GM will replace the front valve cover gasket in addition to the ignition wire channel when the recall is announced.