• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IRONDOG442

• jake91

• ZoomZoomFan

• jman093

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from the NHTSA. The clips are all that the NHTSA is requiring as that is all that is required to stop any fire. GM has not released their version of the TSB to dealers. Like said, this is supposed to happen next month. It may well contain instruction to inspect for leaking oil and repair if necessary. Won't know until then, but the NHTSA is not requiring it.

Since all Oldsmobiles are no longer under warranty, we no longer do GM warranty and recall work at my dealer, but what we do for Chrysler it seems like 90% of the bulletins we perform instruct to perform some repair (in this case the clips) and also look for evidence of a particular cause or consequence of this recall, and repair it too if found (in this case it would be the oil leaks) so it may very well happen, especially if it was repaired on L67's. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but it wouldn't be surprising either if it gets covered.

EDIT: Looking at the NHTSA site on the L67 recall, the clips/retainers were all that were required on that recall as well by the NHTSA.

the bulletins we perform instruct to perform some repair (in this case the clips) and also look for evidence of a particular cause or consequence of this recall, and repair it too if found (in this case it would be the oil leaks) so it may very well happen, especially if it was repaired on L67's. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but it wouldn't be surprising either if it gets covered.

The gaskets were specifically recalled on the L67s so I can't imagine that the dealer would do that repair too if only the clips are recalled on these

The gaskets were specifically recalled on the L67s so I can't imagine that the dealer would do that repair too if only the clips are recalled on these

Ok I didn't know it was a mandatory part of the L67 recall, but nonetheless they weren't required by the NHTSA to change the gaskets as well on it. GM goodwilled the gasekts as a part of the recall for customer satisfaction. So all I'm saying is that GM may do this again with the L36's. What I posted is the NHTSA release that a recall is going to happen and the minimum of what GM will do. Just have to wait and see what GM does.

FTR I have personally seen this leak actually cause a fire on the top of a 3800 SII exhaust manifold and just because a liquid isn't classified as "flammable" under DOT's (Department of Transportation) regulations which is defined as a liquid with a Flash point >=73F<=141F doesn't mean it can't spontaneously combust, ever hear of an oil burning stove?

Oil will catch fire if hot enough and normal exhaust manifold operating temperatures are between 600°-800°

Trust me GM doesn't recall shit unless its necessary! They should replace the fucking gasket not redesign the spark plug looms !!

So if me engine isn't leaking any oil, should I have some tech fucking around with my car? Any REAL benefit? And how long do you have to get the recall done? Can I wait 5yrs to see if it's gonna leak?

:facepalm:

Agreed X42308423904

Instead of burning it onboard, let's just funnel it on to the ground. OOOh boy, that's a great thing for tree huggers. You're damned it you do and damned if you don't.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

...And this is why I don't own a GM anymore..

And why my next car won't be a GM.

The recall isn't until May, so tell your friend not to take his car in until the recall is issued, they probably won't fix it.

Its really stupid that they won't replace the gaskets. I bet GM's thinking is that the scenario is rather slim so why even bother?

I'm still not convinced that the oil leaking out of the valve cover under heavy braking is the cause for engine fires. It has to be something else. We've seen way to many of these for it to be something as simple as that.

I love how they say in the article that there have not been any reported fires because of this....yet....we see them all the time!

They probably don't make it back to GM. Makes you wonder though, how can you have a recall without some sort of prior events?

...And this is why I don't own a GM anymore..

And why my next car won't be a GM.

Like GM is the only company that recalls vehicles. The almighty Toyota recalled more vehicles than they actually sold back in 2007. Everybody has recalls for fires and stuff. Our Nissan store next door was doing a bunch of recalls on the new Altimas a year or so ago becuase they going up in flames. Ford recalled their new diesel Superduty's a couple years ago because the regeneration process caused it to blow flames out the tailpipe and start fires and the list goes on.

Its really stupid that they won't replace the gaskets. I bet GM's thinking is that the scenario is rather slim so why even bother?

You didn't bother to read my posts. GM hasn't said they are only replacing the plug retainers. The NHTSA is only making them replace the retainer, but GM may also replace the gasket, just like they did on L67's. GM release for the recall isn't out until May.

Right......may being the key word. If the past is any indication to the future the gasket won't get replaced. The L67 recall, called for the gasket right?