Nothing wakes you up in the morning *EDIT* They totaled it!!!!

RareGMFan

If insurance deemed it totalled, then it will have a salvage title. Especially since the insurance company will be paying part of the loan.

I don't want to sound mean, but in all truthfulness, a special edition or not, it is still a Grand Prix. I think the price that they valued it at is VERY fair, compared to market values of similar vehicles.

Body shops quote based upon new parts if they are available. If not, then they quote on good parts from JY's. And, typically, they only work with a few yards that are known to have good parts (again, typically no u-pull-it's, and still expensive). Then you have the cost of paint (which IIRC, didn't those cars use a special color?), and labor isn't cheap.

IMO, I wouldn't buy it, unless you know you can't get another car loan. Paying your loan off early should NOT affect your credit. And, unless it's totally backwards in Illinois, insurance should be the same, salvage or not. No matter the case, you'll have to get it certified once you have it rebuilt to a good condition to be able to get the title.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RareGMFan

• Euro

• Crazy K

• w-bodys_are_the_best

I realize it's not worth anything more for being a Special Edition. However, '01 GTPs tend to go for $7k - $9k around here, depending on mileage and condition, so while what they're offering is not a total low ball, it's not like it's super generous, either.

The 40th's had the special dark cherry metallic paint. This is just a plain black GP, so nothing fancy to match. Shouldn't be that hard to find junkyard doors already in black. Regardless, what I was trying to get across to the manager is that I'd be willing to take the highest amount they'll go without totaling it. Granted, they're totaling it anyway,

My biggest concern at this point is to just to have a reliable, drivable car. I'm going to have Haggerty Pontiac inspect it tomorrow (if they can get it in that quick), and let me know if there's any frame or suspension damage. If not, I'll take the money and run. If there is, I'll have to think about it, but it would still have to be a considerate amount for me to change my mind. I simply do NOT have the time to go shopping for a car, nor the means if I loose this one. I can't afford to rent a car for the next 2 or 3 weeks till I find something. And I shouldn't have any trouble getting another car loan. I just simply don't want to start all over again with that. This way, even if I change my mind and end up buying another car, at least I have something to get around in that's not costing me to do so, and I can EASILY get my $900 back out of it, and then some, either as a whole car, or even more so in parts. The Daytona/Special Edition/40th Ann hood, spoiler, roof spoilers, interior, exhaust tips, etc are all highly sought after parts for GP guys, not to mention the motor, trans, computer and wiring for a wide variety of GMs.

...what I was trying to get across to the manager is that I'd be willing to take the highest amount they'll go without totaling it. Granted, they're totaling it anyway,

I think you should call back the person who offered you the chance to buy the car back... and make a counteroffer.

here goes:

"I've thought about it. I think it is unfair of you to deem my vehicle totaled. I would be willing to accept a smaller payment if the vehicle is/can be safe to operate. I'd like to offer X% (like 5 or 10% off the minimum value that a car has that it can be deemed salvage, so like 70%) if the car passes a safety check and does not have any structural or suspension damage (ie fix the tire{s} and it can be driven home). This saves you money, and prevents me from having to locate a replacement vehicle as the damage appears cosmetic and does not render the vehicle unsafe or inoperable." note that you'd have to offer less than the settlement minus the buyback to make it all work.

and then have that dealer insect it and have the alignment checked, etc etc etc.

I've totaled 3 cars in my life, 2 of which I bought back, one in MN and one in IA. Neither car I bought back was ever tagged as "salvage." It all depends on your state, and may be different since you have a loan on the car, although the first one I bought back also had a loan on it. I also know (at least in MN) as long as it is structurally safe, if you replace the body panels and they are straight it is considered "rebuilt" even if the new panels are not the proper color. My friend has done that very thing before and they allowed it, which was news to me, but apparently they don't have to be painted.

Some states will not brand it salvage if the title stays in your name, but if you sell it without it being "rebuilt", you are legally required to mark on the title that the vehicle has recieved damage over 50% of the vehicle's value.

the cutlass i got from you was not salvaged when i got it. Even though it had been totaled. Even when it was transfered to missouri Just an FYI

From what I understand, transferring state to state can wipe out the salvaged/totaled status of a title (at least, that's what I had been told in the past). I don't know about within a state. I'll find out for sure from them today. I'm going to try as much as possible to get them to just write this up as a repair, not a buy back.

I talked to the adjuster, as well as my agent, and they both said the car will still be perfectly legal, and insurable, though I can only get liability till it's repaired, and the agent has seen that it's fixed. Right now, I don't care. So long as she drives OK, and will get me around for at least a few weeks, that will be just fine with me. Tomorrow night will be the big night, as I'm dropping off the rental in the morning, and driving my car back home (signed the "we are not responsible for what happens from here on out" form, and took my key from the dealer). I went to put the wheels on tonight. While the front one was off, I looked at the outer tie rod, control arms, etc, and everything seemed OK. After tightening the replacement wheel down, I tried wiggling the tire up and down, and left and right, and then turning the steering wheel. There seemed to be no play, so I'm fairly confident she's fine. I couldn't break the freaking lug nuts loose on the rear wheel, so I may just throw a few bucks at the shop to do that for me tomorrow, and then off I go. I double checked with my agent that towing will still be covered/reimbursed if something happens on the way home, and he said yes, so everything is a go. One way or another, she's coming home with me tomorrow night.

I just want this thing to safely and reliably run, so I don't have to worry about renting a car out of my pocket, and can take my time with the truly ugly part; negotiating the settlement

I drove it home tonight. Just got in a bit ago. She's pulling to the left noticeably, but everything else actually feels fine. No noises, no wobbling, not jerking back and forth, etc. Hopefully, all it needs is an alignment. I will drive it to and from work tomorrow (so long as she cooperates), and get it checked out Saturday. If all it needs is an alignment, I'll get that done immediately so I can have the piece of mind that I have a reliable, safe car for a while. Then I can take my time with hammering out the final price on this whole ordeal.

I'll take some pics tomorrow or Saturday so you can see the extent of the damage.

I'd bet on a bent inner tie rod.

If that's the worst of it, I can certainly live with that + an alignment.

hey D wanna go to the aurora yards saturday?

Actually, I just might be up for that. Let me see what I'm going to do as far as getting the car in to somebody, and looked at.

Well I went, and I'm glad I did. Let's just say a huge part of the cosmetic repair was covered today. :mrgreen: Special thanks to Matt. I was thinking about going to a yard today, but if he hadn't, I might have just said "screw it". AND we may have recruited a new w-body member with a Cutty vert!

Awesome! I love going to the yard. I never realised how many parts my car needs until I make it to one. How nice was the vert you seen?

Well he wanted the side marker off a Cutty coupe, but he informed us that he had a Vert. I think he must have brought the mini van he also mentioned he had, because I don't recall seeing a 'Vert in the parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...

D!! I'm so sorry about this! I didn't mean to bug you about the vids while you've got this to deal with. Take your time man! BTW, Me, SoccerplayerGTP, and EasyToRemember may be taking a trip out to Morad this weekend. Need anything?!?!?!?

Thanks. It's not a problem, Brian. I'm still going to get that video taken care of (should have been done before this happened, anyway). I'd say yes on the parts, but....Morad is a bit expensive compared to what I can get stuff for in the yards around here. I already picked up a nearly mint condition rear driver's side door WITH the glass, window regulator, inside door panel, etc. (the works) for $75, AND it's black. I'm willing to bet it would have been around $250 from Ed for that same door, and that most likely wouldn't have included a window regulator, or door panel.

Wow! Thats an amazing price! I just got 2 doors from a j/y up in Milwaukee for $200 and thought that was great!!! Lemme know if you change your mind!

D if you need an extra pair of hands and some tools, let me know. I might have some time to help out. Matt has my #, or you can just PM me.

After reading through all of these pages, this is just crazy. Glad to hear things turned around for you...hopefully the rebuilding and finalization of the insurance company stuff will go well. Keep us posted.