Nothing wakes you up in the morning *EDIT* They totaled it!!!!

RareGMFan

....like a crash on the express way!

So I'm heading to work this morning, cruising along in the far left lane. I decide to change lanes to the middle lane. I flick the turn signal on, get about half way in, and this moron in a white 2000+ Monte Carlo in the right lane jerks into the same middle lane without looking, or signaling, forcing me to slam on my brakes, and quickly steer back into the left lane. Well, the wheels locked up for some reason, and I'm going down the expressway at 70mph sideways. I haven't started panicking here yet other than realizing that a crash may be eminent. It veers off into the shoulder where it starts to straighten out, and gives me the false hope for a split second that we may get out of this in one piece. No such luck. I'm coming upon the speed limit sign, and one of those orange barrels too quickly to stop in time. I plow through them, and that causes the car to skid again.......right into the concrete barrier.........aaaaand finally comes to a stop. I sat there for a second in total disbelief at what happened. I tap the accelerator to see if she'll move. She does move forward, but I can hear something scraping the ground, and I hear air start hissing pretty loudly. So I put the car in park, and got out. The driver's side is toast. The front bumper cover, front fender, both doors, the rear quarter (near the rear door), both rims (cracked), and both tires flat. Needless to say, I was fuming inside, but I was in too much shock to really display it.

Not a single person stopped, least of all, the piece of shit that caused the accident, which is the only person I cared about seeing at that point. State trooper came after about 10 minutes (after I called my boss to tell him I may be a wee bit late). He took down the report, a tow truck came, and the car and I were dropped off at Haggerty Pontiac. I figured that was the best place to take it at that moment, because at least I could walk to my work in the shopping center right next door. From the looks of it, and according to Joe Haggerty, and the guy who took down my insurance claim, it's going to get totaled, which I'm REALLY going to be pissed off about as soon as what's happened sets in.

I know, I know. It's just a car, and things could have gotten MUCH, much worse. But it's hard to think about that right now since I'm fine, and I now have this mess on my hands to deal with. I just have NOT had good luck with this car. I'm still at a total loss as to what to say or think, right now. I just keep replaying all the split second things I could have done differently to have avoided this, even though I know it's useless. At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I still owe $1,400 on it, which I was planning on having payed off in the next 2-3 months. The guy who took my claim said that because of the lien, I won't be able to buy back the car if they total it, which will most likely make me snap. I'll just have to wait and see what the adjuster says, and go from there. The only shot I snapped of it at the scene before it was towed away is below.

Image001.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RareGMFan

• Euro

• Crazy K

• w-bodys_are_the_best

FUCK people like that. I am SO sorry. That sucks ass.

I read the whole thing before I looked at the pic, and it's not as bad as I expected.

VERY glad that you are ok!

At least it wasn't one of your others...

sucks you wrecked, great that you are ok, dealership is going run that est through the freaking roof!!!!!!!!! that may be more disturbing than the wreck itself.picture of wreck=ahhhh shit, picture of estimate=ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh(catch breath)ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh(catch breath)ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shit.

That's when you just let the fucker hit you instead of taking evasive action.

Exactly. Probably would've been less damage too.

That said, it's easy to say that when sitting by a computer, but when in that situation you can't really think it over. It's a split second decision.

Damn, sorry to hear of this! Luckily (at least) noone was injured. I drive ~75 miles a day on the highway and I see people driving carelessly and pulling stupid maneuvers all the time. The only way to even remotely protect myself is I assume that all people around me are not looking or can't see me. Regardless I've had many close calls too.

Sorry about the wreck but at least your are Okay. That is why I hate interstate of 3 or more lanes. People are careless and start merging in and out of traffic without looking! When I merge into the middle lane I either wait until the other outside lane is clear or turn my signal on for a couple of seconds and merge very slow. I know I piss the people off behind me probably but I have seen people almost crash by merging at the same time. You can never be too careful when driving with careless people.

SHIT!!! That sucks D, but at least you aren't hurt! IL drivers on the interstate are unbelievable idiots. I hate driving on the interstate anywhere around here because every time I make the trip there's someone like this.

Let us know how things are goin! Let me know if you need any help or anything!!

Welp....I got delivered a massive blow today. I was told by the adjuster that under Illinois law (not company policy), you CAN'T buy back a car that's less than 9 years old. This messes up things dramatically, and raises half a dozen other issues for me (how much of my personal stuff can I take off/how much time do I have to do so, what are they going to say the car is worth, what am I going to be left with after they give me the settlement and I pay the $1,400 remaining on the car, etc). I took the call during work, so I didn't really get a chance to get into all that. I also have to worry about the fact that the dealer is charging storage fees every day, and the inspector isn't going to be out till Saturday to look at it. I'm going to try to throw some spare wheels on it, and drive it home tomorrow if it feels OK around the parking lot/I don't feel any suspension damage (which I doubt there is).

holy shit that sucks ass. more pics

Working on the pics. Took some in the dark last night after work with my sister's camera, so I have to get the pics from her.

Was this the same car that had the right side fixed last year?

Yes (thus my comment about tough luck with this car)!! Though it didn't get fixed. I applied the money from the insurance company to what I owed on the car, because my main priority was to get the car paid off as quickly as possible. I hate owing money. That's part of what I'm worried about. That the damage that's still on the passenger side will diminish the value considerably.

That said, it's easy to say that when sitting by a computer, but when in that situation you can't really think it over. It's a split second decision.

I don't know about that. I can't imagine 2 cars colliding at 60+ MPH would have had a good outcome, let alone better than what happened.

Damn, sorry to hear of this! Luckily (at least) noone was injured. I drive ~75 miles a day on the highway and I see people driving carelessly and pulling stupid maneuvers all the time. The only way to even remotely protect myself is I assume that all people around me are not looking or can't see me. Regardless I've had many close calls too.

That's the thing. I'm used to seeing moronic manuevers all day, too. In fact, just 10 or so seconds before this happened, some dumb b*tch in a Lexus squeezed into the one car length space between the vehicle in front of me, and the one in front of her/him. No turn signal, no nothing. Just casually squeezed in there to get around the slower moving car in the middle lane. So whenever I change lanes, I'm always paranoid and looking for someone to do something stupid like this. That's why I was able to react as quick as I did. I had my eye on the MC while I made my move. The only thing I didn't count on was the brakes locking up.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. As I said, I'm going to TRY to get the car back on the road with some replacement wheels, and then we'll have to wait and see what the adjuster says, and go from there.

That sucks man, especially about not being able to buy the car back. I hope they at least let you tear some of your stuff off of it first.

sucks dude, it almost would have been worth it to let the guy sideswipe you. Nothing worse than avoiding an accident by wrecking all by yourself while he keeps on driving.

j/k but i can haz roof rails?

seriously though that sucks man.

I don't know about that. I can't imagine 2 cars colliding at 60+ MPH would have had a good outcome, let alone better than what happened.

I see what you're saying, but if you're both heading the same direction at 60 MPH the impact wouldn't be *that* hard as long as you didn't lose control afterwards. Either way hindsight is always 20/20.

Hopefully everything works out for you.