Nothing wakes you up in the morning *EDIT* They totaled it!!!!

RareGMFan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RareGMFan

• Euro

• Crazy K

• w-bodys_are_the_best

I would be pretty surprised if the insurance company totals that.

Normally, but if the other side was never fixed, they will take at least the amount they paid you off of the value, so it could likely be totaled. If the car is worth $5500, and they already gave you $2500, it's value is $3000. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I'd try and get it home and pull as much as you can if they won't let you buy it back, well as much as possible without destroying the value of the car. I know with my expereince I have always bought the car back, but they told me if I didn't want to buy it back it would be a few days before they towed it away :twisted:

The adjuster called me today and said they're going to total it!!! She estimated the damage at $6,700??? I'm going to call and fight her on that tomorrow, because that's complete bullsh*t! The other side was estimated at $3k, and needs a good portion of the same things (just doesn't look nearly as bad). Two new door skins, a front fender, etc. I find it very hard to believe that there's another $3,700 in damage on this side. That's more than DOUBLE!! I don't know if it's possible, but I'm going to tell her I don't need the wheels replaced, I have many spares. I don't need anything non-essential replaced (the door skins, fender, bumper). Just make sure it drives straight (no frame or suspension damage, which I highly doubt it has), and give me whatever the maximum is prior to totaling the car.

As for pulling things off, I'll be very limited on that since the value of the car was established with what's on the car right now. I asked to make sure it would be OK that I take the non-stock items, and replace them with the stock pieces (my black headlights, the GTP badge on the grille, the red top Optima battery, etc), so those are a go. Going beyond that...I don't want to deduct from what pathetic price they're going to give me.

I'm just really sick to my stomach right now. I can't think straight. I don't have time to go look for another car, much less have the money for it if they calculate this out the way w_bodys_are_the_best explained. She said after deducting for mileage (134k), the car is valued at $6,050. She's going to talk to their salvage yard tomorrow before she gives me the final settlement price (not sure what for).

Some insurance companies will also allow you to get quotes with used parts, most body shops ask right away when getting estimates if you would like to use new parts or if they can use good used parts.

It's hard to see the extent of it on that photo. It looks bad, but it's all simple cosmetic stuff. Couple of doors from the junkyard, a fender, and it would look fine. The bumper would be cracked up a bit, and there's a couple small dents in the rear quarter panel, but I'd live for now. The rims, I have spare ones I could throw on for now just so it's drivable. The only major thing to check for is to make sure there's no frame, or suspension damage, which I highly doubt there is. The impact didn't even set the air bags off, and I DID roll the car forward a bit (initially, I was just going to drive off, but I heard the plastic pieces scraping underneath, and the tires deflating), and it felt fine.

I will give her a call about this tomorrow. I'll pitch a few ideas and see if there aren't more options. I just really can NOT afford this right now, on many different levels.

I have bought and seen many different cars at salvage auctions that are fucked right up - but the air bags never popped. Just trying to say that saying the air bags never popped won't always tell you the extent of damages. I'd get it double checked to make sure nothing is tweaked before rebuilding it.

That's what I said. I couldn't sleep at all last night going over this in my mind. I'm thinking about some other angles to go at this with, and see if anything will fly. Like as was mentioned, why can't we do used parts? Can I take a few hundred less than what a buy out would cost them, and keep the car/pay for the difference for the repairs out of pocket (knowing it will cost me far less than what they've suggested)? Can we check to see if there's any frame/suspension damage, just get that fixed, and take like $1k more, and call it a day/keep it?

Is it stupid to suggest these things? I'm expecting all of them to be shot down, but at this point, I have nothing to loose, and am willing to try anything. This car is worth FAR more to me than the $1k - $2k I'm going to whined up being left, sentimentally, AND financially.

D... if you need good parts... there are several GPs here in the local yards...

Where is the car right now? do you have it at home? is it driveable? can you get second quotes on the repair? how badly damaged is it? do all doors open normally and does the car drive straight still?

If the car in only a cosmetic case right now... meaning it is safe to operate and not structurally damaged(get it checked out), I'd ask for what $$$ figure the damage has to exceed before they consider it totalled... then offer 5% less of that figure if they cut you a check so your "personal mechanic" will do the job for you.

If it would be more advantageous to tell the insurance company to fuck off.... do so.

Sorry to see this.

I can vouch for the high cost of repairs.

the U-Channel that holds the lower ground effect to the side of the car is $300... it's probable cost $1-2 to make because it's just stamped steel.

dang man, i would try and buy it back from the insurance company, if i can rebuild a car and have it turn out "alright" then someone who doesnt it regularly should be able to do it quite nicely.

from the looks of that one cell phone pic, doesnt look all that bad! good luck man.

glad you are okay.

dang man, i would try and buy it back from the insurance company, if i can rebuild a car and have it turn out "alright" then someone who doesnt it regularly should be able to do it quite nicely.

from the looks of that one cell phone pic, doesnt look all that bad! good luck man.

glad you are okay.

Apparantly due to his state laws he can buy it back. I went through the same thing about a year ago with my wifes Jeep when it was in an accident. I wanted the opposite though (wanted it totaled)and they wouldnt. After tearing into it though they changed their minds and finally did total it. But I couldnt buy it back either since the Jeep was worth less than what we still owed on it.

Ok, guys. Interesting turn of events. I don't know why, or how, but now they're saying I CAN buy it back. I called the inspector's manager, and basically explained how this was going to utterly screw me over right now, and how I can't understand why other alternatives weren't discussed (used parts, take some of the cosmetic repairs off the bill and I'll fix them myself, etc). He said to let him look at the case and get familiar with what's happened, and he'll give me a call back.

Well, instead of him calling me back, the same inspector that looked at my car called, telling me I can retain the vehicle. I was a bit stunned, but I wasn't going to push my luck and inquire too much into why, or how. So this is the break down right now:

not sure what the starting value was

- $960 for previous damage

- $900 to buy back car (seems a bit expensive, but oh well)

- $100 deductible

-$1450 left on loan

=$2100 + I get to keep the car

At least this way I get to keep the car, and have a few bucks to take care of anything that's messed up in the suspension. Only things left that I want to ask about tomorrow is how having them pay off the rest of my loan affects my credit, if at all, and as a salvage title car, can it still be insured like a normal car.