common place where trunk leaks?

meltboy1

My TGP leaks in the truck pretty bad, where is a common place that they leak, and how do I easily find the leak? I am thinking it is probably coming from the tail light...

On my old Z34 the trunk used to leak at a seam that was halfway down the "rain gutter" between the trunk seal and the quarter panel.

Never had any leaks in the TGP

On my old Z34 the trunk used to leak at a seam that was halfway down the "rain gutter" between the trunk seal and the quarter panel.

I thought the GTP was leaking in the same spot, but I gooped it up with silicone only to discover that it was coming from somewhere closer to the rear window. If mine gets worse I will probably take it to a leak expert.

Jamie

My '93 SE leaked there aswell. It also leaked around the tailight seals, the bodyseam behind the tailights, and the water poured over the weather stripping since it was old and shrunk, and the trunklid needed to be adjusted down. I say "leaked" because after lots of tracking down, they are all fixed. My '95 GTP leaks pretty bad though... so back to tracking leaks for me. I bent the little tab on the sparetire well plug, popped it up with a hammer, and a waterfall started :lol:

I thought the GTP was leaking in the same spot, but I gooped it up with silicone only to discover that it was coming from somewhere closer to the rear window. If mine gets worse I will probably take it to a leak expert.

Jamie

Check the seams on the roof. On my SE it leaked there and the water ran into the trunk, and also dripped through the rear reading lamps onto the rear seat. I had to remove the small moldings, and re seam-seal them, then put the moldings back in. The long clip strips shattered, so I just put the molding in the sealer to hold it in.

Where the tails mount is a common area that lets water in. They have those rubber bushings inside the nuts on the mounting studs that usually disintegrate over the years.

every car I seen has leaking taillights. I degrease them really good and silicone the gaskets and then you might still have more leaks like mentioned.

Ya I think over break I'm going to drill a hole. I have no spare tire in at the moment, just a loose crosslace.

My rear tailights, at least the drivers side, one of the studs is broken and just keeps spinning. Spring can't get here any sooner.

I also have a leak along the passenger side c-pillar that is leaking into the car.

Ya I think over break I'm going to drill a hole. I have no spare tire in at the moment, just a loose crosslace.

My rear tailights, at least the drivers side, one of the studs is broken and just keeps spinning. Spring can't get here any sooner.

I also have a leak along the passenger side c-pillar that is leaking into the car.

Check the seams on the roof. On my SE it leaked there and the water ran into the trunk, and also dripped through the rear reading lamps onto the rear seat. I had to remove the small moldings, and re seam-seal them, then put the moldings back in. The long clip strips shattered, so I just put the molding in the sealer to hold it in.

:wink:

Also, why drill a hole in the trunk (which WILL rust)? Just bend the tab on the plug, and tap it up a bit with a hammer. All the water will come out, then reseat the plug, bend the tab back, and done. Until I get the leaks fixed on my GTP, I just leave the plug open a tiny bit so the water won't accumulate. No water, bugs, mud, etc. will come through the opening unless you leave a massive gap.

Yep, the small ones right above the quarter/sail panel. A good way to see if they are leaking, is to remove the c-pillar panels, and look at the seam near the roof. I pulled them off my GTP today, and I can see its been leaking there (tiny bit of rust starting on the seam, and visible dirt marks) :confused:

Yep, the small ones right above the quarter/sail panel. A good way to see if they are leaking, is to remove the c-pillar panels, and look at the seam near the roof. I pulled them off my GTP today, and I can see its been leaking there (tiny bit of rust starting on the seam, and visible dirt marks) :confused:

My interior is in pieces and if it rains I can see water dripping through the holes in the c-pillar. I didn't know it was right underneath those seals.