painting calipers

jake91

what color should i paint my calipers  

1. 1. what color should i paint my calipers

Probably 20-30 bucks for all 4 calipers and brackets. Probably less.

Heres mine after they were painted - Damn that car was hot..

DSCN0535.jpg

I dont have pics of the powdercoated ones but the powder coating made them look smoother which is always good.

okay i will be doing powder coating then thanks. then i dont have to worry about screwing it up either. i always thought that type of stuff was in the hundreds

whatever you do powder coat them.. Nothing else will last.

I used a cheap can of Wal-mart engine paint on mine in 2003. Still looks perfect, no chips, no defects. Even took pics a few months ago to prove it to naysayers. I clean them every time I wash the car though.

hell if i can get around 2 years out of it. i dont mind recoating it occasionaly

For me they dont last that long. they start to chip if you try and clean them. god forbid if you have to change pads.. Powder coating isnt very expensive and its permanent, I would just go with that.

You didn't prep them or apply the paint right then. I've cleaned mine numerous times and they are still holding. Hell after driving in the hell of a winter we've had so far this season they're still fine. I've changed the front pads on them too, with no chips.

I think with the paint you're going to have varying results. There is a lot that goes into how well that paint holds up, not only how you clean it and how you apply it. Also moisture in the air, the air temperature and other things that can affect the durability and lifetime of that high heat paint. If you plan on keeping the car, and you want them to stay nice for as long as you own it, i would go ahead and have them powder coated. Its not awfully expensive and i think it looks the best.

paint them body color...i used duplicolor in spray cans the same color as my car...did this with both my cutlass and my gp...your calipers really dont get that hott that you need high temp paint. mine isnt and it still looks great when i clean them up.

NewWheelsandBrakes018.jpg

• 1 month later...

okay i think i will be doing this soon and i dont feel like removing the calipers to paint or powdercoat and i saw this kit and i wondered if anyone has used or or heard anything about it

LOL did anybody else notice that guy is colorblind?

Still think any 'kit' is going to be overpriced. You can clean the calipers your self and paint them with the paint of your choosing.

I agree, I think a kit would be overpriced. Just a cheap can of red engine paint from Wal-Mart, a bunch of newspaper and masking tape did the job for me. Total cost was less than $4. That was back in 2003 and it's held up great.

LOL did anybody else notice that guy is colorblind?

Still think any 'kit' is going to be overpriced. You can clean the calipers your self and paint them with the paint of your choosing.

yeah i noticed that :lol:

I agree, I think a kit would be overpriced. Just a cheap can of red engine paint from Wal-Mart, a bunch of newspaper and masking tape did the job for me. Total cost was less than $4. That was back in 2003 and it's held up great.

oh so i dont even need to remove them to spray them

red

on a blue car

oh so i dont even need to remove them to spray them

I didn't. I did get a little overspray on the rear struts, but it's not visible so I didn't care.

Use more newspaper and masking tape if you're concerned about overspray.

Mine are painted red, calliper paint and cleaner can be bought at any auto store and can easily be done in a day. (went with red to match the stripe on the side of the car)

car3.jpg

black or silver, red only on certain cars.

I painted my Impala calipers BLACK back in summer 07. So they've been through 2 winters now and as far as I can tell they still look pretty good. Nice thing about black is if you are lazy like me you can paint them while they are on the car and if it's not a perfect paint job it will not show like red or other colors.

I think next (whenever the paint starts to wear off) I will do silver/aluminum so the brakes are more visible.

• 2 months later...

How's this? Ceramic high heat paint.

Photo_042509_001.jpg

Photo_042509_002.jpg

Photo_042509_003.jpg

Photo_042609_001.jpg

Photo_042709_002.jpg

I'll get some more pics up when the new wheels and tires are on the car. My car is silver, so I think these will fit pretty well. If your car is any other color though, I would definitely use the body color. I just don't think black or silver look that great. I've tried high heat aluminum paint and it looked alright, but not much different from stock.