• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 91GranSport

• GPdriver1986

• cutlassdude96

• dbtk2

Dude, they sure don't build 'em like they used to, eh? :)

Yeah, when I mention "best" engines, I mean strictly the engine itself. To me, the qualifications for an excellent engine are:

-High Reliability

-Easy Maintenance

-Decent Fuel Economy

-High HP/Torque Output

Given those criteria then the 1967 Pontiac Premium Fuel 400cid 2 Bbl. (10.75 to 1) was one of the best. I had one in a 4 Dr. Catalina, 21 honest MPG's in a 4200 Lb. barge with bias ply snow tires, AC on MAX, cruisin' at 65 MPH. It would bury the 120MPH speedo in a little over a 1/4 mile and light the right rear tire from a 10 mph roll.

The only problem they had was that Pontiac installed a nylon top timing gear. Mine had had the steel replacement gear installed early in it's life. At around 106,000 miles I hit an embankment with it and totalled the body. A friend of my fiance's Dad bought it, pulled the motor and stuck a new cam, lifters and timing set in it, slapped a '65 Tri Power set up on it and dropped it into his '65 GTO Conv. I last saw him about 7 years later and the old 400 was still goin strong and had about 175,000 on it. I never touched that motor in the 2 years I had it, the only time I ever opened the hood was to give one of my friends a jump.

I have the 3800 TPI V-6 and I have 185,000km on itand it's still going strong, along with the 4T60 tranny. I expect to get 300,000km+ out of it easily.

I've seen original 3800 TPI V-6 engines go as high as 350,000km without any major problems at all. These are easy maintenance engines.

The 3800 Series II should last even longer, since it's a more reliable design than the 3800 TPI V-6. I'm guessing 400,000km or so with the 3800 Series II.

How long does the 3.8L Series I last? Because I saw about 3 cars with 250k-300k km at the junkyard and I started them up and they ran perfectly.

How does the 3.8L Series II last?

Ha ha ha! Dude, you're so right. My '91 Regal GS has 185,000km on the original engine and tranny (3800 TPI V-6 and 4T60) and they're still strong as an ox. They'll probably last well past 300,000km. Too bad I have rust on my inner fenders, all four of my tires are in serious need of replacement, all four of my shocks need replacement, my rear bumper frame is rusted and needs replacement, and finally I need some bodywork and paint!

I guess it could be worse, if I was driving an Hyundai.

They last for freaking ever. We have had a few Series I 3800's until right around 200,000 miles, and they still run VERY VERY VERY VERY good with that many miles, but we usually get rid of cars at about that many miles because everything other than the engine on the car is worn out by then. (Suspension, Interior, Exhaust, etc...)