list of good GM engines

GPdriver1986

I was thinking of a list of all of the good engines that GM has made/makes that are reliable and last a long time. Heres what I thought of:

-2.8\3.1

-3100\3400

-2.2 Eco

-2.2 OHV

-2.0 OHC or OHV

-Any V8

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 91GranSport

• GPdriver1986

• cutlassdude96

• dbtk2

I would switch the 2.8/3.1 to the 3100/3400. Those motors could be GM's best design ever and I've never heard of any serious troubles with them. 2.8's and 3.1's have a few oil leaks and such that have caused me to not like them. Plus if your adding horsepower into the equation, the 3100/3400's have PLENTY of power to keep you happy on the road. IMO....

70 GS Stage 1 455. 360 hp?, 550 tq (was the 8th fastest bone stock,non modified or tuned American car prior to modern FI engines).

69 500 ci. Cadillac 400 hp, 550 tq. I have always wanted to put one in a lighter car. Hummm, my El Camino..... :)

i'd eliminate the "any v8" commnt. 262, 267, 301 pont, 307 olds, ht4100 cad, just do not belong(nor does the 366 bbc for that matter)

#2 on my list(tho often overlooked and not appreciated) after the small block chevy would be the 472/500 cadillac. i LOVE these things, putting a 472 into my truck, its a 1970 engine 365hp/525tq

i have a question about the 3.1 engine. its about the oil pump drive? someone said that there was a distributor shaft in there before and when they redesigned the block they just left that hole there, and thats what leaks, but what did the engine start out as? i mean, before they redesigned the block to the engine what i have in my car?

is the 3.3 more reliable then the 3.1?

There both reliablmy mom use to have a 92 Ciera with it and only had to replace the water pump, and the spark plugs.

i have a question about the 3.1 engine. its about the oil pump drive? someone said that there was a distributor shaft in there before and when they redesigned the block they just left that hole there, and thats what leaks, but what did the engine start out as? i mean, before they redesigned the block to the engine what i have in my car?

The 3.1 was originally the 2.8, and the 2.8 engine was used in both cars and trucks. The truck version (and older versions I guess) had a distributor. Then in the later 80s early 90s they had distributorless ignitions, and eliminated the distributor, and they left that hole there. I guess it just got carried through to the 3.1. I'm no expert, I'm just assuming that from general knowledge about the 2.8.

I think the 3800 TPI V-6 and 3800 Series II are both better than any 3100 SFI and 3400 SFI.

I would switch the 2.8/3.1 to the 3100/3400. Those motors could be GM's best design ever and I've never heard of any serious troubles with them.

I wouldn't agree with you on the 2.8 MPFI and 3.1 MPFI, as the 3100 SFI and 3400 SFI are better. I don't know f*ck all about the four cylinder engines, other than the Quad Four being an ticking time bomb. Not all their V-8 are that great though. As much as I love the LT-1, it had the dreaded Optispark ignition which caused plenty of problems. Other than that, the rest of the engine was relatively reliable. Pretty much all other GM V-8s are great, especially the Northstar and Vortec series.

I was thinking of a list of all of the good engines that GM has made/makes that are reliable and last a long time. Heres what I thought of:

-2.8\3.1

-3100\3400

-2.2 Eco

-2.2 OHV

-2.0 OHC or OHV

-Any V8

The LS1 and LS6 are both outstanding engines. The LT-1 and LT-4 are great, minus their Optispark ignition. The LT-5 was a fucking beast, but that too had plenty of problems.

I don't really know alot about the older V8s, I specialize in 4 cylinders and V6's. But I think most of the V8's are good like the 5.7

I think the 3800 TPI V-6 and 3800 Series II are both better than any 3100 SFI and 3400 SFI.

I agree, the 3800 TPI is the best engine overall in my mind. I don't care what anybody says.

The 3.1 was originally the 2.8, and the 2.8 engine was used in both cars and trucks. The truck version (and older versions I guess) had a distributor. Then in the later 80s early 90s they had distributorless ignitions, and eliminated the distributor, and they left that hole there. I guess it just got carried through to the 3.1. I'm no expert, I'm just assuming that from general knowledge about the 2.8.

so like how long ago are we talking about for the 2.8's? like in the 70s or what? do you have an examples of which trucks had them? anyone?

I would definately have to agree there. The 3800 is an AWESOME engine. We have 6 cars, 3 with 3800's, 1 with a 3.1, 1 with a 3100, and one with a 350. Which car is the most reliable...not the one with the 350...not the one with the 3100...not the one with the 3.1. All 3 of the cars with the 3800's ('93 Olds 88, '00 Bonneville SSEi, '02 Grand Prix GTP) are very reliable, even the GTP with a 400hp 3800 is way more reliable than the TGP or Beretta. The 350 is pretty damn reliable though...never had a problem with it, just sometimes it doesn't seem to be running right. Always starts first try though...as with all of the cars. IMO the most reliable GM engine is the 350 V8...there are millions and millions and millions of them everwhere, everybody uses them and most have no problems going over 200,000 miles on them. The 3800 (whether Series 1 or 2) is damn close in reliability to the 350 though. IMO they are hella good engines...if they weren't GM wouldn't put them in half of their cars.

Guest TurboSedan

i agree about the small block Chevy 350; i have had 2 of them and they both ran great after 200,000 miles despite crap gas mileage (shitty CCC Q-jetts). one was an '85 LM1 (from a 9C1 Impala) and had 240,000 miles when i sold it with my old Malibu. the other was an '88 LM1, also from a 9C1 Caprice. the LO5? (TBI) and the later iron headed LT1 9C1 Impala/Caprice SS were great also. i guess i like those police car engines.....

i have never owned any Buick V6 engines, but i can say the 3.8L Chevrolet V6 that came originally with my Malibu was a crap engine - i later swapped in my '85 Impala 9C1 drivetrain (with it's 700R4 which never had any problems). the think the Chevy 60' V6 is great despite it's generation. my '91 MPFI 3.1 has 211,000 miles and still runs very strong. i have yet to see what my '90 LG5 TGP engine runs but it ended up in the salvage yard with a bad turbo and the owner abondoned it, so i'm hoping the engine still runs strong :? the Turbo STE insturment cluster that i got the engine from read 111,000 miles.

i pretty much don't like any engine made before '88 or so. it HAS to be port fuel injected and computer controlled with abilty to modify the chip. all hail the TPI L98.

joshua

I think the 3800 Series II is slightly better than the 3800 TPI V-6 simply because it's more powerful, has smoother power delivery, and has better fuel economy.

I currently have the 3800 TPI V-6 and 4T60 in my '91 Regal GS. It's the original engine and tranny with 185,000km. Low maintenance and problem free, plus gobs of torque off the line. You can't go wrong with that. It isn't a high-rev motor like the 3.4L Twin Cam and it doesn't have the high end horsepower that makes the 3.4L Twin Cam shine but it definitely suits me.

I agree, the 3800 TPI is the best engine overall in my mind. I don't care what anybody says.

Dude, you have so many damn cars. I think you should let me borrow your Bonneville for a while just so you have more space in your garage. :)

Seriously though, the 3800 TPI V-6 and the 3800 Series II are probably the best currently 6-cylinder engines that GM has. While they lack sophistication, they're powerful, fuel economic, easy to maintain and relatively inexpensive. Same goes for the 8-cylinder LS1/LS6 series, although they're significantly more sophisticated than the average OHV engine.

My first W-Body had the 3.1 MPFI, and it had a problem with valve cover leaks and electrical malfunctions, as well as the fuel injectors and water pump. My 3800 TPI V-6 has been problem free since I bought my car.

I would definately have to agree there. The 3800 is an AWESOME engine. We have 6 cars, 3 with 3800's, 1 with a 3.1, 1 with a 3100, and one with a 350. Which car is the most reliable...not the one with the 350...not the one with the 3100...not the one with the 3.1. All 3 of the cars with the 3800's ('93 Olds 88, '00 Bonneville SSEi, '02 Grand Prix GTP) are very reliable, even the GTP with a 400hp 3800 is way more reliable than the TGP or Beretta. The 350 is pretty damn reliable though...never had a problem with it, just sometimes it doesn't seem to be running right. Always starts first try though...as with all of the cars. IMO the most reliable GM engine is the 350 V8...there are millions and millions and millions of them everwhere, everybody uses them and most have no problems going over 200,000 miles on them. The 3800 (whether Series 1 or 2) is damn close in reliability to the 350 though. IMO they are hella good engines...if they weren't GM wouldn't put them in half of their cars.

The 2.8L engines came in the S10. I dont like them because they are weak as hell. I had the 2.5L 4 banger in my 89 grand am and think was slow as hell too but it never broke down once. I beat the hell out of it and traded it towards the purchase of my cutty with 123K on it. The only real problems on that car had nothing to do with the engine. My friend has an 87 S10 with the 2.8l engine and he has never ahd a problem. Well besides him pumping the gas on a fuel infected engine in the dead of winter. Pushing so much gas through and down into the crankcase that it wouldnt start at all for days.