Bad ECM?

mra32

I was looking in my Lumina Service manual, the diag chart seems to say :

Code 53 System over voltage

Running @ 800 RPM - If above 17.1v replace generator, below replace ecm.

Running @ 2000 RPM - If above 17.1v replace generator, below replace ecm.

What do ya guys think?

I still say get a meter on there and watch the voltage.

If it really is that high, then replace the alt, and be ready to change anything else that doesn't like to be overvolted. :lol: Otherwise, the ECM lost its mind.

I tried starting it up today, it stalled out after 30 seconds of running poorly. I started it up again and had to keep my foot on the throttle to keep it going, but this whole time, It was clearly missing when I revved it up.

Is there any way to check the ICM or the coil packs without having spares?

I might be able to get to the j/y tomorrow. What do you guys think I should pick up?

For the coil packs, I remove one wire at a time and start the car. If the car feels exactly the same, then you know something is wrong on that coil. Also, the spark should be a healthy blue or white. Not yellow or red.

I know its a real pain on the 3.1 If your car is like mine with the coolant tank in front, I suggest you remove that and unbolt both radiator fans. Unplug them and lift them out. It gives you plenty of room to work down there

If you do wind up removing the ICM/coil packs, the bottom bolts are easier to get to with an extention while lying under the car. Remember they take 5.5MM attachments, not 5 or 6mm

Ken called me this past weekend to help me troubleshoot the damn car and he told me to check the injectors. I'm ready to pull off the plenum and test the impedance of the injectors. Will I definitely need to replace the intake gaskets? Could I get away with reusing the old gaskets or rtv'ing the 2 parts together?

a bad cps will cause the engine to stall and not re-start once hot. other than that i dont think there are any other symptoms of one. id throw an ecu at it first thing if your alt checks out

OK!

I went driving for like 10 minutes with the new ECM and not a stutter. Well there was the low idle, but thats cos its a new ecm and it needs to adjust itself. I Think I'm going to go out on a limb and claim victory on this one. I'll repost in here if anything changes.

I kinda feel silly since if i went with my first instinct, one quick trip to the j/y and I would have been back in business as opposed to a week of off and on trying to fix this working around my schedule. But it did pick a good time to go south since I was on my winter break.

Just a thought: I saw some wear on my old ecm and I thought that maybe the fact that I have stiffer, lower springs might be more jarring to the computer. I know guys have probably had the same setup as me, even stiffer on their cars for way longer, but hey, its a possibility? I dunno, mine might have just been weak. Or it may have been fried by the alt. If the same thing happens again, I'll replace both the alt and the computer.

But YES! I feel like doing a dance.

Now time to clean up my car and fully finish buttoning up my engine.

I doubt a stiffer suspension had anything to do with the ECM failing. It's old and old electronics sometimes fail. Hell, in the Suzuki Swift+ (Aveo) it's not uncommon to replace 2 or 3 ECMs in only the first few years of the car's life.

I doubt a stiffer suspension had anything to do with the ECM failing. It's old and old electronics sometimes fail. Hell, in the Suzuki Swift+ (Aveo) it's not uncommon to replace 2 or 3 ECMs in only the first few years of the car's life.

Yeah, it might be out there, but vibrations and shock will lead to failure of boards like that.

On another note, can someone do something with the PROM that was in the computer from the junkyard? It was out of a grand prix sedan with a 3.1, if that matters. Not sure what transmission. I'll give it to you for free. I dont know if someone wants it, maybe they can program it and want a spare? Whatever, if you want it, its yours.