any ways to make my 1992 lumina Euro 3.1 faster and more powerful

mike_lumina92

So its not important to a turbo setup is what we are all saying. MAT sensor can go anywhere in the intake and if your intake air temp sensor is getting hot enough that it melts plastic and requires metal, its time for an intercooler.

The reluctor didnt change cause its the same casting as the NA cranks.

Or a fire extinguisher! :lol:

Ben, here's an old quote from Jud(sleeperred90tgp, RIP) made when someone asked about a TGP vs. NA crank.

"By the way I am running a N/A crank the one with the little gap between the reluctor ring notches. No problems yet. I never could find any differenc in the cranks other than the reluctor ring. It's maybe a degree different."

And another quote.

"The TGP distance between the slots is .180, the N/A is .105 so the difference is .075. One degree =.0506 of the cir. 1 1/2 degrees is the difference."

He posted pictures of the two cranks he compared(original from his '90 TGP and a 981 casting ordered for a non-turbo 1990 Grand Prix). I have the picture somewhere...it's about 4-5+ years old, so it'll take me a while to find it.

why waste money on a Gen 2 3.1 when you can stick in a stock 3400 or 3500 and make the same or more power without boost?

The Jbody 3400 swappers are putting down 190-200 WHP on stock engines with the stock 5 speed. The only upgrades are a good exhaust (no stupid restrictor) and simple warm air intakes.

Ben is right, the 7x crank is leading edge triggered.

Because turbo 3.1's are cooler (didn't say faster) than 3400/3500's. Plus you could put a bigger turbo on the 3.1 and be making nice power numbers fairly easy while still being pretty unique. Just my take on it though.

TGP came with that stock, with roughly 7500 turbo 3.1s made by GM. How many turbo 3400 w bodies are there? How about NA 3400 swaps?

7500 turbo 3.1's period. They were in nothing but TGP's. Turbo 3400's? I thought you said same power as a turbo 3.1 without boost? NA 3400? Not a whole lot in W-bodies, but there are ridiculous amounts in everything from N-bodies to minivans. Don't know why I'm arguing this, I just kinda wanted to. This is not personal at all. :cool:

TGP came with that stock, with roughly 7500 turbo 3.1s made by GM. How many turbo 3400 w bodies are there? How about NA 3400 swaps?

7500 turbo 3.1's period. They were in nothing but TGP's.

WRONG! you forget about the TSTE ?

there are some 3400 swapped W's out there. a turbo one would be custom, and damn cool!

a way to make your Lumina really fly

yeah yeah repost blah blah

That poor Lumina murdered in such a public way after all her years of dutiful service. :(

That being said i noticed a snapped tie rod end on takeoff and a fractured rear wheel bearing on landing allowing the wheel to break clean off- what a piece of junk, lol!

Because turbo 3.1's are cooler (didn't say faster) than 3400/3500's. Plus you could put a bigger turbo on the 3.1 and be making nice power numbers fairly easy while still being pretty unique. Just my take on it though.

I'll give you that.. the 3.1 turbo is a cool engine. I almost put one in my cavalier but went a completely different direction. :lol:

Every time i find one in the salvage yard the UIM is gone.. one of these days i'll get one and add it to my wall of plenums in the garage. :mrgreen: