Where does oil typically leak from on 3100s?

supreme_style21

Where does oil typically leak from on a 95 3100 engine? I'm losing about a quart every 1000 miles I'm figuring. I'd look into it a little more, but right now I'm in Minneapolis so I don't wanna crawl around in the hotel parking lot. I've been noticing the smell of burning oil occasionally, becoming more frequent and more strong now, and I'm losing a fair amount of oil. The filter and oil plug are tight and I don't see anything leaking out around the pan. The valve covers don't appear to be leaking. I don't have any drips on the driveway. I put on about 600 miles today and I'm gonna have to add a half quart or so in the morning before I put on another 600 miles. I'm just slightly concerned that where ever it's leaking from might let go and I'll lose everything on the highway and toast the engine.

It's got 132k on it and runs perfectly fine otherwise. Where should I be looking? I don't believe it's actually BURNING oil.. I can't smell anything in the exhaust that would indicate so.

End seal corners of the lower intake. And the oil pump drive.

X2

hey I went thru wadena today. I'll probably be going back through there tomorrow. Help me push my car if you see me on the side of the road. Or hit it.

:lol: I'll probably help push as I have my Euro right now in town, which has a bra on it, so it won't scratch the paint if we go bumper to bumper on it. :razz:

P.S. Where ya headed back to again??

:lol: I'll probably help push as I have my Euro right now in town, which has a bra on it, so it won't scratch the paint if we go bumper to bumper on it. :razz:

I'm going back to Thief River Falls tomorrow. I'm at a shady hotel in Clearwater tonight, so I'll be taking hwy 10 back tomorrow afternoon.

I saw a Grand Cherokee by Brainerd this afternoon, driving down the road with its flashers on and a HUUUGEEE cloud of white smoke billowing out from every surface on that thing and I laughed. Then I remembered karma so that'll probably be me tomorrow haha.

I'm in Mpls if you need tools or anything.

thank you ! I need your nice car by the looks of it :biggrin:

I'll be able to get home. I don't think it's a major issue yet. I usually don't venture out more than 50 miles from home, so the trek I'm making this weekend is bringing out all the little demons. I was just getting a little concerned because the smell was getting stronger and stronger on the way here. By time I rolled into town here, she smelled of something wicked. I'll have to crawl under it next week and see if I can narrow things down. I think 3 quarts of oil between changes is kind of extreme.

I'll be able to get home. I don't think it's a major issue yet. I usually don't venture out more than 50 miles from home, so the trek I'm making this weekend is bringing out all the little demons. I was just getting a little concerned because the smell was getting stronger and stronger on the way here. By time I rolled into town here, she smelled of something wicked. I'll have to crawl under it next week and see if I can narrow things down. I think 3 quarts of oil between changes is kind of extreme.

at that point, whats the point of having it changed lol

at that point, whats the point of having it changed lol

ahaha thats my new theory. Its a blessing in disguise.

with owning a 95 with the 3100, I should know the oil leak spots, but I do not. I have spots accumulating in the driveway, but no idea where it is coming from. I noticed an occasional drip from the drain plug, so I got a new plug and made sure it was tight. Changed the oil, and it drained mostly all of the old oil so I know it is not burning at all... so I am guessing that drive seal is the place to look? The head gaskets and intake are all brand new, only about 8k on them.

I'm going back to Thief River Falls tomorrow. I'm at a shady hotel in Clearwater tonight, so I'll be taking hwy 10 back tomorrow afternoon.

I saw a Grand Cherokee by Brainerd this afternoon, driving down the road with its flashers on and a HUUUGEEE cloud of white smoke billowing out from every surface on that thing and I laughed. Then I remembered karma so that'll probably be me tomorrow haha.

Eh, Just when you stop from time to time, just check the gas and fill the oil. :biggrin: But yeah, Drive safe man and hope your car and you make it back alright.

The oil pump drive on my older 3.1 had started to seep too :(..fuck

It's a cake walk on that motor.

When I had the upper plenum off a few weeks ago doing the injectors is when I noticed it was starting to seep oil. I just left it alone for now.

It looks like my leak is coming from the lower left side of the engine. I can't see much down in there though, but I can see where the oil is running down there and going all over the bottom of the engine and getting sprayed back underneath.

It's down in here. Is that where the oil pump drive seal is at? It's a horrible picture. But that seems to be where it's coming from, right down in the middle in the pic

IMG_0889.jpg

The oil pump drive seal is a bit farther back than your pitcure, but the oil will flow down the engine exactly as shown in your pic. I've circled the oil pump drive in the picture attached. That should help you get a frame of reference.

It looks like my leak is coming from the lower left side of the engine. I can't see much down in there though, but I can see where the oil is running down there and going all over the bottom of the engine and getting sprayed back underneath.

It's down in here. Is that where the oil pump drive seal is at? It's a horrible picture. But that seems to be where it's coming from, right down in the middle in the pic

IMG_0889.jpg

If the o-pump drive seal is leaking bad enough, youll have a puddle of oil, and it will leak all over the block and the tranny. I was loosing a quart every 3 days through that fucking one dollar o-ring.

well, if you have plastic valve covers, those leak like a mouth, but i dont think the 95s came with plastic...my 94 did, and i replaced those pretty much right away.

you could always just be burning it internally. that happens too.

you mean those black piece of shits the 94's got? thanks GM

yup! been there before!

after runnin to the yard, i found an achieva that had the aluminum covers, and fixed that problem real quickly!