Bigger oil filter for TGP???

90TGP

I don't know if my memory serves me right [probably not :lol: ], but I think a while back there might have been a discussion about a larger oil filter avilable for the TGP? Or maybe it was for the Chevy 350. I'm not sure.

So does anyone know if there is one available?

IIRC the 3.1 takes the same oil filter as the 3.8. If that is the case, you can use the 4.3 (Blazer/Astro/etc... engine) oil filter. It should be an inch longer than the regular one.

IIRC the 3.1 takes the same oil filter as the 3.8. If that is the case, you can use the 4.3 (Blazer/Astro/etc... engine) oil filter. It should be an inch longer than the regular one.

Incorrect. The 3.1 filter is LONGER than the 3.8's filter. I know..I have both engines :wink:

Incorrect. The 3.1 filter is LONGER than the 3.8's filter. I know..I have both engines :wink:

what brand filter on both cars? that can determine lenght, I know some of the fram filters for the 3.1 are long as hell(cousin had a fram tough guard on when I changed his oil the other day....he switched over to ac delco like I use :wink: ...although I personally have never had a problem w/ frams nor know anyone who has)...EDIT: btw, I think the ac delcos I have on both my GP's are the same ones IIRC, I haven't ever changed the oil in both at the same time so I'm not positive.

what brand filter on both cars? that can determine lenght, I know some of the fram filters for the 3.1 are long as hell(cousin had a fram tough guard on when I changed his oil the other day....he switched over to ac delco like I use :wink: ...although I personally have never had a problem w/ frams nor know anyone who has)...EDIT: btw, I think the ac delcos I have on both my GP's are the same ones IIRC, I haven't ever changed the oil in both at the same time so I'm not positive.

I've put both FRAM filters and K&N filters on both cars, and in both cases the lengths were different. The 3.8's filter is a lot shorter and a bit larger in diameter. The 3.1 filter has always been a lot longer.

I looked up the number for the filter I usually buy and it was the same for my 93 SE as it was for my 01 GTP :) , I had a short quaker state filter on my car when I first got it(the 93..) my parents had the oil changed at one of those quick change places instead of a dealership :shock: ... :lol: ...I change my own oil and do all the work I'm able to now being that I've got extra cars and can take my time. I also recall reading about that we can use 4.3 filters and that they are longer than the usual 3.1 ones :?:

Incorrect. The 3.1 filter is LONGER than the 3.8's filter. I know..I have both engines

So do I (if you couldn't tell from my sig), I just couldn't remember. I just looked at the TGP right now to make sure, and it is DEFINATELY a longer filter than the 3.8's. It is the 3100 (on our Beretta) that has the same filter as the 3.8. (I have WAY too many GM pushrod V6's) But, from seeing the filter on the TGP, I am wondering why you would want a filter longer than that. It is plenty long already...I don't see the need for one even longer. Besides, usually what the manufacturer recommends is plenty, unless you plan on doing long distance races or something, I don't see the need for one.

The TGP uses the 4.3 filter already. As far as I know, there is not a longer one available.

Incorrect. The 3.1 filter is LONGER than the 3.8's filter. I know..I have both engines

So do I (if you couldn't tell from my sig), I just couldn't remember. I just looked at the TGP right now to make sure, and it is DEFINATELY a longer filter than the 3.8's. It is the 3100 (on our Beretta) that has the same filter as the 3.8. (I have WAY too many GM pushrod V6's) But, from seeing the filter on the TGP, I am wondering why you would want a filter longer than that. It is plenty long already...I don't see the need for one even longer. Besides, usually what the manufacturer recommends is plenty, unless you plan on doing long distance races or something, I don't see the need for one.

in short, longer filter *usually* means more/better filtration due to the more filtration material inside, I think that's what they're shooting for...I guess it couldn't hurt for a turbo engine anyways since the turbo does a good job of breaking down oil(judging by the fact that in my turbo car, the oil became darker/dirtier a lot quicker than in my NA cars) :bash:

EDIT(for the hundreth time): dbtk2, there was a anniversary edition GTP in the parking lot at my college today, look like it had been neglected and they lived on a damn dirtroad :roll:

dbtk2, there was a anniversary edition GTP in the parking lot at my college today, look like it had been neglected and they lived on a damn dirtroad

It is a shame that people ruin cars like that. It can't be more than 2 years old AT MOST. Dirt roads really fuck up cars too if you aren't careful. But the cars look pretty cool IMO if they aren't neglected and dirty, it always pisses me off when they are. The only thing that I wish was a little different is the color, it could have a little more red in it, it is very purple, but it is a unique color and stands out and doesn't really look bad. I used to work at my grandfathers detailing shop, and you can really tell the difference between the cars of someone on a dirt road and someone that isn't if the cars are equal. But, when I worked there, I saw the worst cases of neglect you could imagine. I cleaned some BAD cars.

Oh yeah...BTW...is your GTP stock? If not what does it have done to it?

in short, longer filter *usually* means more/better filtration due to the more filtration material inside, I think that's what they're shooting for...I guess it couldn't hurt for a turbo engine anyways since the turbo does a good job of breaking down oil(judging by the fact that in my turbo car, the oil became darker/dirtier a lot quicker than in my NA cars)

I know what a longer filter would do, but I don't see the need for one longer than what is already on it. Use the stock filter and change your oil 500 miles sooner.

A stock oil filter changed at regular intervals is usually no where near the 'dirty' stage. Its definately not clean but its definately not full either. Also a larger filter will not filter better, the size of dirt that it can trap is only dependent on the filter medium.

The reason to use larger and longer oil filters is for flow. An oil filter can only flow so much until the bypass valve opens, a large engine has a larger oil pump and thus a larger oil filter. Another smaller advantage is for added oil capacity.

What size filter does the TGP use stock, the PF-47 or PF-52?

The reason for the difference in oil filter size between the TGP and the GTP, I also got both is becasue the 3800's oil filter is on the passanger side and if you use a PF 57 (longer one) the bottom of the oil filter stick out from underneath the frame and you can easily hit it with rocks or debri. The two filters are interchangable so it's a matter of what you want. I use the longer one.

Regards

Guest TurboSedan

i've been wondering about this too, since i'm using a 5.0 Mustang oil filter on my 2.2 Turbo Dodge engine (Motorcraft FL-1A). it's WAYYY bigger than the stock oil filter. my 3.1 always gets ACDelco PF-52, but if i can get a bigger one in there i'll try it....

joshua