best way to clean an engine

jake91

It's beyond me how any car owner can allow this much dirt to accumulate under the hood of their car. :lol:

You should see mine..Maybe I'll take a pic of it sometime.

thank a to every one for thee sugesstions i used simple green and here is how it turned out the top pic is before and the second is after

Very nice man :thumb:

thanks i had to get it done by tomorrow because im taking it to a car show speent near 4 hours detailing it today and i still havent gotten to the interior i will do that tomorrow

very nice. I wash at least 4 busses a week and we use degreaser and a nice hot pressure washer, and i have never had a problem . I just watch out for the alternator and starter+ major electrical components and They come out perfect every time

Only vehicles i've ever had any remote issues on after pressure washing them have been the 2.8/3.1. And even then, that was only because the ICM was weak, so the car only ran on 4 cyl. for a little while. In a heavy downpour, or a very damp day, I would have the same issues.

I wouldn't use Brake Clean because it can ruin paint (at least thats always a risk). As for Simple Green I've always heard it can oxidize aluminum especially if you use it at full strength. It's made to be mixed with water.

I personally like Gunk's Engine degreaser. They even make a kind with a built in detailer. For a 3.4 car, make sure not to spray it with tons of water. Pull the spark plug boots when you're done and make sure they aren't flooded. THEY ARE NOT WATERPROOF.

I washed the engine, filled the spark plug wells up, ran like crap, boy did I feel smart. Took 3 days till she ran right. ( After I blew them out with compressed air and covered myself with engine with the blow back, three stooges would have been proud!!) But the engine was clean. Be carefull of the plug wells.

I wouldn't use Brake Clean because it can ruin paint (at least thats always a risk). As for Simple Green I've always heard it can oxidize aluminum especially if you use it at full strength. It's made to be mixed with water.

I personally like Gunk's Engine degreaser. They even make a kind with a built in detailer. For a 3.4 car, make sure not to spray it with tons of water. Pull the spark plug boots when you're done and make sure they aren't flooded. THEY ARE NOT WATERPROOF.

I washed the engine, filled the spark plug wells up, ran like crap, boy did I feel smart. Took 3 days till she ran right. ( After I blew them out with compressed air and covered myself with engine with the blow back, three stooges would have been proud!!) But the engine was clean. Be carefull of the plug wells.

I've done the same thing!

• 3 weeks later...

hahah same here i pressure washed my prelude at a self wash cuz i spilled coolant on it from changin my radiator. and i wouldnt strat after that. i pushed ot out and then my buddy towed it home... :redface:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GrandPrixlover1

when I took my 96 GP to a car wash I was scared to pressure wash the engine, but my Uncle who was with me washed it. Sprayed the alternator and everything, started it up afterwards and it ran fine. I think you just gotta make sure everything is sealed tight.