best way to clean an engine

jake91

my mom wont let me clean my engine in my car with water because she did that before and hers wouldnt start so what is a good way to clean your engine without much water there is a pic of the engine in members rides on page 2 of 1994 cutlass supreme convertible

Detail shops use steam, although even that can cause problems. It was a good idea on your mom's part to stop you from doing that. If you were going to just spray it that is.

Or you could clean it with a rag. Maybe some degreaser wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I have used water every time i clean my engine bay.NEVER had a issue.If you are concern about it not staring put a bag over your battery and alternator.I have even done it when i work at a ford dealership years ago.Every car always started.

Huh. I Pressure washed my old Ciera at the carwash about once a month... Didn't have a single problem. Did the came to an '02 cavi, a '94 achieva, '95 grand am, '02 exploder, '99 s-10, even like a SUPER old early '80's plymoth... Not a SINGLE problem.

I've cleaned the engine bay on my CSV at the car wash numerous times with no problem. No way I could get it as clean as it is with just some kind of cleaner and rag. The rag is just used to dry it off so there won't be any water spots.

Tom

I've always cleaned my engines & transmissions (in all past vehicles) at the manual carwash. Do so when your engine is warm to hot (so the water will evaporate quickly) and also a carwash that supplies hot water to the wand, no cold water (to limit temp. differential). Never a problem for me and that's a lot of years, and my engine bays are always nice & clean. :biggrin:

Last time I cleaned my engine bay, I sprayed it all over with westley's tire cleaner, covered up my alternator and pressure sprayed it with this really heavily compressed water tool. Worked pretty well. No problems here.

Automotive Goo Gone. Spray is on, wait a few minutes, rub it off. Works really well. I've also used degreasers, hoses, simple green + rags. They all work. Try the Goo Gone though.

I wouldn't use Brake Clean because it can ruin paint (at least thats always a risk). As for Simple Green I've always heard it can oxidize aluminum especially if you use it at full strength. It's made to be mixed with water.

I personally like Gunk's Engine degreaser. They even make a kind with a built in detailer. For a 3.4 car, make sure not to spray it with tons of water. Pull the spark plug boots when you're done and make sure they aren't flooded. THEY ARE NOT WATERPROOF.

There was a big discussion about Simple Green and oxidizing of aluminum.

I remember basically..it's like seafoam and fouling plugs.

Some people never have problems, others have it and blame it on that. No true answer either way. Who knows if it oxidizes it enough to ruin it? Even water can oxidize stuff.

I wouldn't use Brake Clean because it can ruin paint (at least thats always a risk). As for Simple Green I've always heard it can oxidize aluminum especially if you use it at full strength. It's made to be mixed with water.

That is BS. I use pure, unmixed Simple Green all the time on my engines and there is NO oxidization of any kind.

I've used Simple Green at full strength too without issues. And I always pressure wash the engine bay too - no problems. If there is a problem after you get things wet then you have other issues that need to get worked out. Most connectors, wiring harnesses and such should be able to get wet without fucking up.

only car i have ever had an issue with while using the power washer at the car wash was my 81 Buick... got some water in the distributor cap. Screwdriver and some wd40 fixed her up in the carwash in about 2 minutes. Used a plastic bag over it from then on without any problems. I was the engine in my 04 every other time i wash my car, so at least once every 2 weeks and i just try not to spray hard on the electronics on the passenger side but everything else is fair game and i have yet to have any issues.

That is BS. I use pure, unmixed Simple Green all the time on my engines and there is NO oxidization of any kind.

Hey aren't you the one with the whitish looking UIM? Aluminum oxide is white.

Hey aren't you the one with the whitish looking UIM? Aluminum oxide is white.

It isn't white. Its very bright, but there is no corrosion.

I used undiluted Simple Green and a toothbrush on my old 89 GP SE 5-spd:

Before:

My89GPSEBEFOREPicsNov32007014.jpg

After:

My89GPSEBEFOREPicsNov32007016.jpg

thanks i will definently do simple green now after seeing those pics

I used undiluted Simple Green and a toothbrush on my old 89 GP SE 5-spd:

Before:

My89GPSEBEFOREPicsNov32007014.jpg

It's beyond me how any car owner can allow this much dirt to accumulate under the hood of their car. :lol:

And I can vouch for the fact that that 89 engine still looks as clean as those pics and I haven't cleaned it once since I got it off Nick and I have put almost 15k miles on it already!