Neutral Safety Switch

oldscsc

Just wondering...sometimes I can start my car in neutral, other times it will just drain the gauges and not do anything. What decides whether I can start it in N or not?

Can I even get to it under the car? I'd go look but it's all wet.

Remove the air box and you'll see it below the master cylinder.

I might do it when I put my CAI on... I want to be able to start it in N so I don't know why I'm replacing the switch that keeps me from doing that :lol:

Because it will allow you to start it in neutral. It won't let you start the car in anything but park or neutral. Hence the name "Park / Neutral Safety Switch" :razz:

I might do it when I put my CAI on... I want to be able to start it in N so I don't know why I'm replacing the switch that keeps me from doing that :lol:

Because it will allow you to start it in neutral. It won't let you start the car in anything but park or neutral. Hence the name "Park / Neutral Safety Switch" :razz:

Dumb moment :eek: Thanks for clearing up my stupidity :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

yah, mine doesnt always start in park, but nuetral is pretty easy to find.

might as well just leave it broke.

Thats exactly what I do.......i just leave it in neutral and put on the park brake ....gtten into the habbit of doing that.

i guess that works i dont leave my car in neutral because my last car i did that to and i found out that it had bad rear brakes and rolled off into the neighbors car

i guess that works i dont leave my car in neutral because my last car i did that to and i found out that it had bad rear brakes and rolled off into the neighbors car

Ohh...i'll put my Z-34 in neutral...on a hill w/ the e-brake... and put it in drive.... and it wont move til the E-Brake comes off. I have started to begin to trust it putting it in park..... then when i get in it....put it in neutral and starting it. (b4 it wouldnt even start in neutral for a minute or so after its been sitting in park....but now it does every time knock on wood)

well.. to those of you with NSS problems... fixing them now is cheaper than getting towed home cause the car won't start. if you switch is acting up it is a when, not an if failure problem

personally, I have opened several of these switches, and they can be cleaned and lubricated IF they are not worn. I occasionally see ones that have pitting where the contacts meet, and those must be replaced.

p.s. 95+ switches send less power through the switch due to re-wiring (the antitheft system appears to be linked to the NSS, and not the heavy gauge starter wire)... a good tip if you have an issue with a 94+ NSS switch, since those are the same and are you willing to re-use a re-lubricated switch.

well.. to those of you with NSS problems... fixing them now is cheaper than getting towed home cause the car won't start. if you switch is acting up it is a when, not an if failure problem

personally, I have opened several of these switches, and they can be cleaned and lubricated IF they are not worn. I occasionally see ones that have pitting where the contacts meet, and those must be replaced.

p.s. 95+ switches send less power through the switch due to re-wiring (the antitheft system appears to be linked to the NSS, and not the heavy gauge starter wire)... a good tip if you have an issue with a 94+ NSS switch, since those are the same and are you willing to re-use a re-lubricated switch.

So basically.....if i get a new NSS....it sounds like my problem would b solved.