Astrostart issue -

supreme_style21

I have a 2 way astrostart in my car. I'm getting an error code 4.. no tach reading. The car acknowledges the signal, something makes a short grinding noise (not the starter or anything like that.. may be the astrostart brain?) and then it just shuts down. Doesn't make an attempt to crank.

From what I can tell, everything is hooked up the way it should be. It used to work fine.. I want to say it stopped right after I put a new starter in the car, but I can't see what that would have to do with it.

Any pointers?

The tach line (from my experience) should be tied either into a injector or a line on near the coilpacks. Replacing the starter shouldn't matter, unless it is a very old model, or cheap model.

Then again, tach may need to be relearned.

The tach line (from my experience) should be tied either into a injector or a line on near the coilpacks. Replacing the starter shouldn't matter, unless it is a very old model, or cheap model.

Then again, tach may need to be relearned.

Yeah I couldn't see the starter having any tie into it.. just odd the prob surfaced just after I swapped it.

The tach line is tied into a line that plugs into the ICM. I did a relearn on it and no difference.

The install book says something about it possibly being a problem the anti-theft.. I've had problems with that in the past, but thought I had it fixed. If it's an issue with the passkey, would having the astrostart make an attempt to start count as an attempt with the key and shut down the fuel pump, because that isn't seeming to be an issue.. I can start it with the key right after it fails.

Also, if I start the car, then hit the remote start for it's little valet thing or whatever its called, and take the key out, it runs the car just fine.

Try this, put the key in the igntion, but don't turn the key, then try your remote start. If it starts, it's whatever vats/passkey bypass the person put in there.

You can follow my thread to bypass it.

Try this, put the key in the igntion, but don't turn the key, then try your remote start. If it starts, it's whatever vats/passkey bypass the person put in there.

You can follow my thread to bypass it.

that was it

you're so smart :high5:

Ok, well, you can bypass the vats/passkey as posted in my diy thread, or in the webpage that DiscoStud created, completely if you want to.

Now, I have no clue on how the Autostart systems work. Hopefully it will quick fix it, but who knows. Just post up what you find.

Ok, well, you can bypass the vats/passkey as posted in my diy thread, or in the webpage that DiscoStud created, completely if you want to.

Now, I have no clue on how the Autostart systems work. Hopefully it will quick fix it, but who knows. Just post up what you find.

I have already bypassed that passkey crap. The person that originally installed it did a hack job on it, so a friend of mine fixed it. But apparently it's become an issue again. I'll have to dig into it this weekend and see what's failed.

Astrostart?!

remote starters, mine is the 2way on the right

astrostart.jpg

the humming bird even came with it. it died shortly after though.. I think they got him from the same place that supplies goldfish to carnivals.

Be sure to solder the resistor into place for the best connection. Otherwise, resistor's do fall out of there % correct range, so that may be possible.

You know, I bet that's going to be it. I think he electrical-taped it now that I think back 3 years. I'll have to figure out what it is and buy a new one. And buy some solder. And a solder gun.

Astrostart?!

astrostart.jpg

the humming bird even came with it. it died shortly after though.. I think they got him from the same place that supplies goldfish to carnivals.

I have the same one (middle one: 2-way/ bidrectional) in my monte and silver lumina. And slick is absolutley right in his diagnosis of the Astrostart module.

Ok, cool. I typically don't deal with much outside of DEI, although I have done some Audiovox, and a few other really really cheapy ebay brands (Read: HORRIBLE!!!!), but typically, the diagnosis is similar.

Astrostart?!

astrostart.jpg

I have the same one (middle one: 2-way/ bidrectional) in my monte and silver lumina. And slick is absolutley right in his diagnosis of the Astrostart module.

The same humming bird? Weird.

I like my astrostart.. if it wasn't for such a hack-job install by an idiot, it'd love it even more. I've had one in every car I've bought. I did have a DEI Python once, but I never became a fan.

What does anyone think of Compustar? I see a ton of those around here and they're expensive.

And for what its worth to anyone, I specialize in the Astrostart brand, though I've dealt with DEI, Compustar, Ready Remote, and other, cheap, brands, and honestly, the quality is what really suffers in some. Otherwise, they're all similar.

When you solder the resistor in use duct tape to tape it up rather then electrical tape. Ive had the electrical tape break the resistors before.

I have a Crimestopper 2-way alarm/start combo in my TGP. The range is no where near what claims and the remote eats batterys like crazy. We install Crimestopper starters and alarms at my work. Their one way systems are good but i havent been very impressed with the 2-way. I just put a Ultrastart in my Park Ave.

FWIW again, not to sell Astrostart, because I'm not trying to sell it to anyone, it's just that in my experience, it seems to be one of the better performers, at least out of the ones available. I will give an example. In my MC, I've had it work in town, through builldings and such, for more than a 1/4 mile. The range claims 2000 ft. on the model I have. And its come close. And as far as the battery goes, I've replaced the original el-cheapo once in almost 2 years of having it.

Mine claimed some extreme distances too.. but I've never had that actually follow through. It'll start from a heck of a distance, but I sure wouldn't get a quarter mile out of its range.

I have a Pursuit system in my car. Doesnt have the flashy LCD to monitor the car itself, but I've not had any problems with the starting function of it.

Except, of course, when my starter was on the fritz.

I'm also under the impression that if you disconnect power for more than, oh say, 15 minutes or so, you'll have to reprogram the system. Not sure if this is true, or just a gimick the shop used to get me to keep coming back though. LOL